Foreign Direct Investment and Trade in the Asia-Pacific Region: Complementarity, Distance and Regional Economic Integration
AbstractThis paper investigates the relationship between FDI and trade in the Asia-Pacific economies by examining the bilateral flows of trade and FDI in a cross-sectional study. The estimation results based on the gravity model show a significant and positive relationship between trade and FDI, implying a comple mentary relationship. Estimated coefficients also imply that trade has a larger impact on FDI flows than such investment has on bilateral trade flows. It is evident that the distance between the home country and the host country is a significant resistance factor for trade, but not for FDI. The estimation results.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 15 (2000)
Issue (Month): ()
Complementarity Between FDI and Trade; APEC;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- O53 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jeon, Bang Nam & Tang, Linghui & Zhu, Lei, 2012.
"Information Technology and Bilateral FDI: Theory and Evidence,"
36628, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jeon, Bang Nam & Tang, Linghui, 2005. "Information Technology and Bilateral FDI: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 20, pages 613-630.
- Fragkiskos Filippaios & Marina Papanastassiou & Robert Pearce, 2003. "The evolution of US outward foreign direct investment in the pacific rim: a cross-time and country analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 35(16), pages 1779-1787.
- Bos,J.W.B. & Laar,M.,van de, 2004.
"Explaining Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern Europe: an Extended Gravitiy Approach,"
041, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Jaap Bos & Mindel van de Laar, 2004. "Explaining Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern Europe: an Extended Gravity Approach," DNB Working Papers 008, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Ansari, Nasim & Khan, Tamanna, 2011. "FDI and regional economic integration in SAARC region: problems and prospects," MPRA Paper 32365, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.