Opening up the Turkish Economy in the Context of the Customs Union with EU
AbstractThe paper consider the Turkey-EU customs union (CU). After reviewing briefly the developments in Turkey-EU relations the paper studies the structure of protection that prevailed prior to the formation of the CU as well as struc - ture of protection that will prevail when all of the adjustments required by the CU will be completed. The resource allocation effects of the CU are studied using nominal and effective protection rates. Besides the liberalization of trade the CU introduces new rules and disciplines that will effect the functioning of markets in Turkey. With the formation of CU Turkey is confronted with reduc - tions in annual tax revenue. The paper studies the possible effects of tax rev - enue losses as well as the ef fects of the CU on FDI in-flows.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 12 (1997)
Issue (Month): ()
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Arzu Akkoyunlu-Wigley & Sevinc Mihci, 2006. "Effects of the customs union with the European Union on the market structure and pricing behaviour of the Turkish manufacturing industry," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(20), pages 2443-2452.
- Sule Akkoyunlu & Konstantin A. Kholodilin & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2006. "The Effect of Economic Reforms of 1980s and of the Customs Union 1996 upon the Turkish Intra-Industry Trade," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 649, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Abegaz, Berhanu & Basu, Arnab K., 2010.
"The Elusive Productivity Effect of Trade Liberalization in the Manufacturing Industries of Emerging Economies,"
94717, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- Berhanu Abegaz & Arnab K. Basu, 2011. "The Elusive Productivity Effect of Trade Liberalization in the Manufacturing Industries of Emerging Economies," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 47(1), pages 5-27, January.
- Ines Buono, 2009. "Firm heterogeneity and comparative advantage: the response of French firms to Turkey's entry in the European Customs Union," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 715, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Kamil Yılmaz & Şule Özler, 2007.
"Productivity response to reduction in trade barriers: Evidence from Turkish manufacturing plants,"
KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers
0704, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Sule Ozler & Kamil Yilmaz, 2009. "Productivity response to reduction in trade barriers: evidence from Turkish manufacturing plants," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 145(2), pages 339-360, July.
- Annette Spellerberg & Denis Huschka & Roland Habich, 2006. "Is the Regional Perspective Useful?: Rural and Urban Quality of Life ; an Assessment," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 650, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Kaminski, Bartlomiej & Ng, Francis, 2006. "Turkey's evolving trade integration into Pan-European markets," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3908, The World Bank.
- Hoekman, Bernard, 1998. "Free trade and deep integration : antidumping and antitrust in regional agreements," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1950, The World Bank.
- Ayla Ogus & Cinar Ozen & Cem Kilic, 2007. "The Turkish Sugar Industry in the Aftermath of EU Sugar Reform," Papers of the Annual IUE-SUNY Cortland Conference in Economics, in: Proceedings of the Conference on Globalization and Its Discontents, pages 174-185 Izmir University of Economics.
- Kamil Yilmaz & Umit Izmen, 2009. "Turkey's Recent Trade and Foreign Direct Investment Performance," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 0902, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Antonis Adam & Thomas Moutos, 2005. "Turkish Delight for Some, Cold Turkey for Others?: The Effects of the EU-Turkey Customs Union," CESifo Working Paper Series 1550, CESifo Group Munich.
- Erol Taymaz & Kamil Yılmaz, 2008. "Integration with the Global Economy: The Case of Turkish Automobile and Consumer Electronics Industries," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 0801, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Kamil Yilmaz, 2009. "International Business Cycle Spillovers," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 0903, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum, revised Nov 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.