Exchange Rate Adjustment and Output in Selected Latin American Countries
AbstractThis paper studies the effect of currency depreciation on the output level in four Latin American countries. An empirical model that includes monetary, fiscal and exchange rate variables is developed. Two versions of this model, one with real exchange rate and another with nominal exchange rate and the foreign to-domestic price ratio are estimated. The overall findings suggest that currency depreciations are usually contractionary to the economy. This effect comes from the nominal exchange rate and not the price level.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Camera di Commercio di Genova in its journal Economia Internazionale / International Economics.
Volume (Year): 53 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Garibaldi 4, 16124 Genova, Italy
Phone: +39 010 27041
Fax: +39 010 2704222
Web page: http://www.ge.camcom.it/IT/Tool/Modulistica
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- F40 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kamal Upadhyaya & Franklin Mixon & Rabindra Bhandari, 2004. "Exchange rate adjustment and output in Greece and Cyprus: evidence from panel data," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(16), pages 1181-1185.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2007:i:42:p:1-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yu Hsing, 2006. "Responses of output in Poland to shocks to the exchange rate, the stock price, and other macroeconomic variables: a VAR model," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(15), pages 1017-1022.
- Kim, Yoonbai & Ying, Yung-Hsiang, 2007. "An empirical assessment of currency devaluation in East Asian countries," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 265-283, March.
- Hideki Nishigaki, 2007. "The impact of the appreciation of East Asian currencies on global imbalance," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(42), pages 1-6.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Procopio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.