Efficiency of Manufacturing in Russia: Effect of Domestic Competition and FDI
AbstractIn this paper we investigate the effect of the entry of foreign firms on the efficiency of Russian industrial enterprises using the panel firm level dataset for 1995-2004. The analysis of the competition structure of Russian industrial sectors reveals that domestic concentration ratios remain high at regional level. We find that foreign entry has positive effect on the productivity of most efficient domestic firms. The effect of foreign entry on productivity of inefficient firms is negative. Our findings show that positive effect from foreign competition appears to be restrained by barriers preventing exit of inefficient firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS" in its journal Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 17 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://appliedeconometrics.cemi.rssi.ru/
competition; fixed effects estimations; foreign direct investment; total factor productivity; stochastic frontier;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Annette N. Brown & J. David Brown, 1998.
"Does Market Structure Matter? New Evidence from Russia,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
188, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Annette Brown & J. David Brown, 1998. "Does Market Structure Matter?: New Evidence From Russia," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 159, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Brown, Annette & Brown, J David, 1998. "Does Market Structure Matter? New Evidence from Russia," CEPR Discussion Papers 1946, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jozef Konings, 2000. "The Effects of Foreign Direct Investment on Domestic Firms: Evidence from Firm Level Panel Data in Emerging Economies," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 344, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Philippe Aghion & Evguenia Bessonova, 2006. "On Entry and Growth: Theory and Evidence," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 97(5), pages 259-278.
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1999.
"Foreign investment and productivity growth in Czech enterprises,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2115, The World Bank.
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard M, 2000. "Foreign Investment and Productivity Growth in Czech Enterprises," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 49-64, January.
- Irina Tytell & Ksenia Yudaeva, 2005.
"The Role of FDI in Eastern Europe and New Independent States: New Channels for the Spillover Effect,"
w0060, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Irina Tytell & Ksenia Yudaeva, 2006. "The Role of FDI in Eastern Europe and New Independent States: New Channels for the Spillover Effect," Development Working Papers 217, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- van de Klundert, Theo & Smulders, Sjak, 1997. " Growth, Competition and Welfare," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(1), pages 99-118, March.
- R. L. Bruno & M. Bytchkova & S. Estrin, 2008.
"Institutional Determinants of New Firm Entry in Russia: A Cross Regional Analysis,"
650, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Randolph Luca Bruno & Maria Bytchkova & Saul Estrin, 2013. "Institutional Determinants of New Firm Entry in Russia: A Cross-Regional Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 95(5), pages 1740-1749, December.
- Bruno, Randolph Luca & Bytchkova, Maria & Estrin, Saul, 2008. "Institutional Determinants of New Firm Entry in Russia: A Cross Regional Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 3724, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Philippe Aghion & Nick Bloom & Richard Blundell & Rachel Griffith & Peter Howitt, 2005.
"Competition and Innovation: An Inverted-U Relationship,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 120(2), pages 701-728, May.
- Howitt, Peter & Griffith, Rachel & Aghion, Philippe & Blundell, Richard & Bloom, Nick, 2005. "Competition and Innovation: An Inverted-U Relationship," Scholarly Articles 4481507, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Nicholas Bloom & Richard Blundell & Rachel Griffith & Peter Howitt, 2002. "Competition and innovation: an inverted U relationship," IFS Working Papers W02/04, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Philippe Aghion & Nicholas Bloom & Richard Blundell & Rachel Griffith & Peter Howitt, 2002. "Competition and Innovation: An Inverted U Relationship," NBER Working Papers 9269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- B. Merlevede & K. Schoors, 2006.
"FDI and the Consequences Towards more complete capture of spillover effects,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
06/372, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Ken Schoors & Bruno Merlevede, 2007. "FDI and the Consequences: Towards more complete capture of spillover effects," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp886, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Bessonova, Eugenia, 2007. "An Estimation of the Production Efficiency of Russian Industrial Firms," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 6(2), pages 13-35.
- Joze P. Damijan & Jose de Sousa & Olivier Lamotte, 2008. "Does international openness affect productivity of local firms? Evidence from Southeastern Europe," LICOS Discussion Papers 21908, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Jože P. Damijan & José de Sousa & Olivier Lamotte, 2009. "Does international openness affect the productivity of local firms?," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 17(3), pages 559-586, 07.
- Damijan, Joze P. & Knell, Mark & Majcen, Boris & Rojec, Matija, 2003. "The role of FDI, R&D accumulation and trade in transferring technology to transition countries: evidence from firm panel data for eight transition countries," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 189-204, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anatoly Peresetsky).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.