Forecasts and evaluation of the 2011 Pan American Games
AbstractThe current paper predicts the medal tally for the 2011 Pan American Games. The forecast procedure consists of analyzing success at the four latest editions of the Pan American Games at the country level. Potential explanatory variables for medal winning are GDP, population, geographical distance to the Games and home advantage. Our forecasts show that the US takes first place in the medal tally. We expect Mexico to take fourth place wining 37 gold medals. The final results as they were published after the Games prove us right in this respect. However, the forecasts are less precise than similar predictions for the Olympic Games.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Universidad de Guadalajara, Centro Universitario de Ciencias Economico Administrativas, Departamento de Metodos Cuantitativos y Maestria en Economia. in its journal EconoQuantum, Revista de Economia y Negocios.
Volume (Year): 9 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (Julio-Diciembre)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Anillo Periférico Nte. No. 799, Núcleo Los Belenes, Edificio de Rectoría, planta alta, C.P.45000 Zapopan, Jal.
Phone: 636 6270
Fax: 633 6975
Web page: http://econoquantum.cucea.udg.mx
More information through EDIRC
Pan American Games; Medal predictions; Panel data models.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R0 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- Z10 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shughart, William F, II & Tollison, Robert D, 1993. "Going for the Gold: Property Rights and Athletic Effort in Transitional Economies," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 263-72.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Ivett Portugal Padilla).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.