The macroeconomic impact of IAS
Abstract[eng] This paper deals with the main advantages and disadvantages of using the fair value method to value assets and liabilities and the potential macroeconomic impact of the application of the IAS standards to financial institutions. Although valuation at historical cost does not of course provide all of the information necessary to assess risk exposure, there are some major drawbacks to the comprehensive application of fair value accounting. This change in accounting procedures will affect the measurement of bank earnings and capital and will also impact prudential ratios. On the macroeconomic level, indiscriminate application of the fair value principle risks increasing the volatility of earnings and capital in the banking industry. This would decrease financial security, which would be contrary to the objective of accounting standard setters. Its application could amplify credit cycles and could also transfer interest-rate risk to non-financial economic agents and possibly even reduce the total volume of lending. . JEL classifications : G14, G21, M41
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Programme National Persée in its journal Revue d'économie financière (English ed.).
Volume (Year): 71 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/revue/ecofi
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- M41 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Accounting
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen, Franklin, 1990. "The market for information and the origin of financial intermediation," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 3-30, March.
- Berger, Allen N. & King, Kathleen Kuester & O'Brien, James M., 1991. "The limitations of market value accounting and a more realistic alternative," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 753-783, September.
- Anil Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein, 1993.
"Monetary Policy and Bank Lending,"
NBER Working Papers
4317, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berlin, Mitchell & Saunders, Anthony & Udell, Gregory F., 1991. "Deposit insurance reform: What are the issues and what needs to be fixed?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 735-752, September.
- Berger, Allen N. & Herring, Richard J. & Szego, Giorgio P., 1995.
"The role of capital in financial institutions,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 393-430, June.
- Allen N. Berger & Richard J. Herring & Giorgio P. Szegö, 1995. "The Role of Capital in Financial Institutions," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 95-01, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & Richard J. Herring & Giorgio P. Szego, 1995. "The role of capital in financial institutions," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-23, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Geroski,Paul A. & Gregg,Paul, 1997.
"Coping with Recession,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521626019, October.
- John H. Boyd & Edward C. Prescott, 1985.
87, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Calomiris, Charles W & Kahn, Charles M, 1991. "The Role of Demandable Debt in Structuring Optimal Banking Arrangements," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 497-513, June.
- Eccher, Elizabeth A. & Ramesh, K. & Thiagarajan, S. Ramu, 1996. "Fair value disclosures by bank holding companies," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1-3), pages 79-117, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Equipe PERSEE).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.