ROE and Value Creation under IAS/IFRS: Evidence of Discordance from French Firms
AbstractThis paper re-examines the effects that adoption of the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) has had on financial reporting of French listed firms. By analysing the 2004 financial statements of CAC 40 companies, we show that the transition to the IAS/IFRS has a significant impact on the return on equity (ROE) of considered firms by increasing it by 25 basis points on average, compared to the French GAAP. This finding thus suggests an amplified degree of discordance between the ROE, as a crucial measure of firm performance, and the value creation process following the IFRS adoption. From a theoretical viewpoint, Merton (1987)’s capital asset pricing model (CAPM) with incomplete information, which claims its convergence to its traditional version through the reduction of information costs, cannot in fact be valid, owing to divergences in the assessment of a firm’s performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Economics, Prague in its journal European Financial and Accounting Journal.
Volume (Year): 2010 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Postal: European Financial and Accounting Journal, University of Economics, Prague, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Prague 3, Czech Republic
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- M41 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Accounting
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laux, Christian & Leuz, Christian, 2009.
"Did fair-value accounting contribute to the financial crisis?,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2009/22, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Christian Laux & Christian Leuz, 2010. "Did Fair-Value Accounting Contribute to the Financial Crisis?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 24(1), pages 93-118, Winter.
- Christian Laux & Christian Leuz, 2009. "Did Fair-Value Accounting Contribute to the Financial Crisis?," NBER Working Papers 15515, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rick Cuijpers & Willem Buijink, 2005. "Voluntary adoption of non-local GAAP in the European Union: A study of determinants and consequences," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 487-524.
- Geoffrey Whittington, 2005. "The adoption of International Accounting Standards in the European Union," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 127-153.
- Grossman, Sanford J, 1981. "The Informational Role of Warranties and Private Disclosure about Product Quality," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(3), pages 461-83, December.
- Street, Donna L. & Nichols, Nancy B. & Gray, Sidney J., 2000. "Assessing the Acceptability of International Accounting Standards in the US: An Empirical Study of the Materiality of US GAAP Reconciliations by Non-US Companies Complying with IASC Standards," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 27-63, 03.
- Anna-Maija Lantto & Petri SahlstrÃ¶m, 2009. "Impact of International Financial Reporting Standard adoption on key financial ratios," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 49(2), pages 341-361.
- Jiraporn, Pornsit & Miller, Gary A. & Yoon, Soon Suk & Kim, Young S., 2008. "Is earnings management opportunistic or beneficial? An agency theory perspective," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 622-634, June.
- Ding, Yuan & Hope, Ole-Kristian & Jeanjean, Thomas & Stolowy, Herve, 2007.
"Differences between domestic accounting standards and IAS: Measurement, determinants and implications,"
Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-38.
- Ding, Yuan & HervÃ©, Stolowy & Hope, Ole-Kristian & Jeanjean, Thomas, 2005. "Differences between domestic accounting standards and IAS: measurement, determinants and implications," Les Cahiers de Recherche 826, HEC Paris.
- Bushman, Robert M. & Smith, Abbie J., 2001. "Financial accounting information and corporate governance," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(1-3), pages 237-333, December.
- Katherine Schipper, 2005. "The introduction of International Accounting Standards in Europe: Implications for international convergence," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 101-126.
- Peterson, David R & Peterson, Pamela P, 1995. "Abnormal Returns and Analysts' Earnings Forecast Revisions Associated with the Publication of "Stock Highlights" by Value Line Investment Survey," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 18(4), pages 465-77, Winter.
- Merton, Robert C., 1987.
"A simple model of capital market equilibrium with incomplete information,"
1869-87., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1987. " A Simple Model of Capital Market Equilibrium with Incomplete Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 42(3), pages 483-510, July.
- Christine A. Botosan, 2002. "A Re-examination of Disclosure Level and the Expected Cost of Equity Capital," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 21-40, 03.
- Ramond, Olivier & Batsch, Laurent & Casta, Jean-FranÃ§ois, 2007. "RÃ©sultat et performance financiÃ¨re en normes IFRS : quel est le contenu informatif du comprehensive income ?," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1644, Paris Dauphine University.
- Olivier Ramond & Jean-FranÃ§ois Casta & Laurent Batsch, 2007. "RÃ©sultat et performance financiÃ¨re en normes IFRS : Quel est le contenu informatif du Comprehensive Income ?," Post-Print halshs-00165038, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vaclav Subrta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.