The introduction of International Accounting Standards in Europe: Implications for international convergence
AbstractThis paper describes several implementation effects associated with the mandated adoption of international financial reporting standards promulgated by the International Accounting Standards Board in the European Union, including a possible increased demand for detailed implementation guidance and for a single European securities regulator. The paper also discusses the mandated adoption as a research setting for considering the relative influences of standards versus incentives as determinants of financial reporting outcomes, and describes two standard setting challenges that may become more pronounced as a result of the mandated adoption.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal European Accounting Review.
Volume (Year): 14 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REAR20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Günther, Nina & Gegenfurtner, Bernhard & Kaserer, Christoph & Achleitner, Ann-Kristin, 2009. "International financial reporting standards and earnings Quality: the myth of voluntary vs. mandatory adoption," CEFS Working Paper Series 2009-09, Center for Entrepreneurial and Financial Studies (CEFS), Technische Universität München.
- Chi, Wuchun & Wang, Chenchin, 2010. "Accounting conservatism in a setting of Information Asymmetry between majority and minority shareholders," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 45(4), pages 465-489, December.
- Duh, Rong-Ruey & Lee, Wen-Chih & Lin, Ching-Chieh, 2009. "Reversing an impairment loss and earnings management: The role of corporate governance," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 113-137, June.
- Beattie, Vivien & Goodacre, Alan & Thomson, Sarah Jane, 2006. "International lease-accounting reform and economic consequences: The views of U.K. users and preparers," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 75-103.
- Christophe Belleval & Carine Boiteau, 2006. "Une Interpretation De L'Influence Potentielle Des Normes Ifrs Sur Les Entreprises Françaises Au Travers Des Theories Performatives Du Langage," Post-Print halshs-00558427, HAL.
- Mark Mcgovern & Nurcan Temel Candemir, 2006. "Agents, Institutions and Regions in Transition," ERSA conference papers ersa06p788, European Regional Science Association.
- Isidro, Helena & Raonic, Ivana, 2012. "Firm incentives, institutional complexity and the quality of “harmonized” accounting numbers," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 407-436.
- Mohamed El Hedi AROURI & Aldo LÉVY & Duc Khuong NGUYEN, 2010. "ROE and Value Creation under IAS/IFRS: Evidence of Discordance from French Firms," European Financial and Accounting Journal, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2010(3), pages 84-112.
- Stefano Cascino & Joachim Gassen, 2012. "Comparability Effects of Mandatory IFRS Adoption," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2012-009, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Patrícia Teixeira Lopes & Lúcia Lima Rodrigues, 2007. "Accounting for financial instruments: A comparison of European companies’ practices with IAS 32 and IAS 39," FEP Working Papers 239, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Salma Damak-Ayadi, 2007. "De L'Efficacite Des Mesures De Convergence Pour Preparer Le Passage Aux Ias/Ifrs En France," Post-Print halshs-00544879, HAL.
- Jirí Strouhal & Petra Ždárská, 2008. "Comparison of the requirements for reporting of listed and non-listed companies: some issues from the Czech Republic," Analele Stiintifice ale Universitatii "Alexandru Ioan Cuza" din Iasi - Stiinte Economice, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 55, pages 143-153, November.
- Suntharee Lhaopadchan, 2010. "Fair value accounting and intangible assets: Goodwill impairment and managerial choice," Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 18(2), pages 120-130, May.
- Samir Ayoub & Keith Hooper, 2009. "Les freins culturels à l'adoption des IFRS en Europe : une analyse du cas français," Post-Print halshs-00456196, HAL.
- Al-Shammari, Bader & Brown, Philip & Tarca, Ann, 2008. "An investigation of compliance with international accounting standards by listed companies in the Gulf Co-Operation Council member states," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 425-447, December.
- Damak-Ayadi, Salma, 2007. "De l'efficacité des mesures de convergence pour préparer la passage aux IAS/IFRS en France," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2091, Paris Dauphine University.
- Jonas MACKEVICIUS & Jiří Strouhal & Svetlana ZVEROVICH, 2008. "Comparative Analysis of the National Accounting Standards of the Czech Republic and Lithuania," European Financial and Accounting Journal, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2008(4), pages 22-44.
- Gaëlle Lenormand & Lionel Touchais, 2008. "La pertinence des actifs incorporels avec les IFRS," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 11(2), pages 173-201, June.
- repec:ner:dauphi:urn:hdl:123456789/2091 is not listed on IDEAS
- Houqe, Muhammad Nurul & van Zijl, Tony & Dunstan, Keitha & Karim, A.K.M. Waresul, 2012. "The Effect of IFRS Adoption and Investor Protection on Earnings Quality Around the World," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 333-355.
- Pascal Barneto & Georges Gregorio, 2011. "Normes IFRS et mesure de la performance. Étude comparative auprès des établissements bancaires européens," Post-Print hal-00646454, HAL.
- Gabriele Guggiola, 2010. "IFRS Adoption in the E.U., accounting harmonization and market efficiency: a review," Economics and Quantitative Methods qf1002, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- Jean-Michel Sahut & Sandrine Boulerne & Frédéric Teulon, 2011. "Do IFRS provide better information about intangibles in Europe?," Review of Accounting and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 10(3), pages 267-290, August.
- Roland Königsgruber, 2010. "A political economy of accounting standard setting," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 277-295, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.