Income Support for the Unemployed : Options for the Philippines
AbstractThis paper evaluates existing income support programs for the unemployed in the Philippines, as well as programs used for this purpose in other countries. It provides a systematic survey of both arguments in favor of and against a certain program. By placing the discussion in the framework of general risk management, effort is made to adopt a holistic view and treat income support systems for the unemployed in the wider context of other formal and informal mechanisms of social risk management. Particular attention is devoted to the interconnection between unemployment support programs and the financial and, above all, the labor market, the latter being of utmost importance for enhancing the self-protection capacity of individuals and households.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of the Philippines School of Economics and Philippine Economic Society in its journal Philippine Review of Economics.
Volume (Year): 38 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
risk management; income support;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H4 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods
- I3 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty
- J6 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alessio J. G. Brown & J. Michael Orszag & Dennis J. Snower, 2006.
"Unemployment Accounts and Employment Incentives,"
Kiel Working Papers
1274, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Brown, Alessio J. G. & Orszag, Mike & Snower, Dennis J., 2006. "Unemployment Accounts and Employment Incentives," IZA Discussion Papers 2105, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Brown, Alessio J G & Orszag, Mike & Snower, Dennis J., 2006. "Unemployment Accounts and Employment Incentives," CEPR Discussion Papers 5692, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Reuben T. Campos).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.