Between Parcimony and Complexity: Comparing Performance Measures for Romanian Banking Institutions
AbstractThe main objective of this study is to establish the relationship between traditional measures of performance (ROE, ROA and NIM) and EVA in order to gain some insight about the relevance of using more sophisticated performance measurements tools. Towards this end the study uses two acknowledged statistical measures: Kendall’s Tau and Spearman rank correlation Index. Using data from 12 Romanian banking institutions that report under IFRS for the period 2006-2010 the results suggest that generally EVA is highly correlated with Residual Income in the years that present positive operational profits whereas for the years with negative outcome the correlation is low. ROA and ROE are the measure that best correlates with EVA for the entire period and thus -applying Occam’s razor- could be used as a substitute for more complex shareholder earnings measures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Petrosani, Romania in its journal Annals of the University of Petrosani - Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.upet.ro/
performance measures; banking sector; Economic Value Added; Residual Income;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fiordelisi, Franco & Marques-Ibanez, David & Molyneux, Phil, 2011.
"Efficiency and risk in European banking,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 1315-1326, May.
- Asish K. Bhattacharya & B.V. Phani, 2005. "Economic Value Added --- A General Perspective," Finance 0504003, EconWPA.
- Dennis G. Uyemura & Charles C. Kantor & Justin M. Pettit, 1996. "Eva� For Banks: Value Creation, Risk Management, And Profitability Measurement," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 9(2), pages 94-109.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Imola Driga).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.