Firm Size and Export Intensity: Solving an Empirical Puzzle
AbstractThis paper presents a transaction costs analysis of the firm size and export intensity relationship. We submit that relation-specific investments and the costs of safeguarding these investments play a significant role in export relationships. Firm size related differences with respect to these factors are used to explain the different relationships between firm size and export intensity that have been found in previous studies. The theoretical framework is tested empirically, and support is found for different industries.© 2002 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (2002) 33, 603–613
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 33 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fischer, Andreas M & Lutz, Matthias & Wälti, Manuel, 2007.
"Who Prices Locally? Survey Evidence of Swiss Exporters,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6442, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andreas M. Fischer & Matthias Lutz & Manueal Wälti, 2007. "Who Prices Locally? Survey Evidence of Swiss Exporters," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2007 2007-39, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Andreas M. Fischer & Matthias Lutz & Manuel Wälti, 2007. "Who Prices Locally? Survey Evidence of Swiss Exporters," Working Papers 2007-16, Swiss National Bank.
- Hernandez, Pedro J., 2013. "A Note on the Link between Firm Size and Exports," MPRA Paper 51576, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Singh, Deeksha A., 2009. "Export performance of emerging market firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 321-330, August.
- Lin, Winston T. & Chiang, Chung-Yean, 2011. "The impacts of country characteristics upon the value of information technology as measured by productive efficiency," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 13-33, July.
- Sahaym, Arvin & Treviño, Len J. & Steensma, H. Kevin, 2012. "The influence of managerial discretion, innovation and uncertainty on export intensity: A real options perspective," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1131-1147.
- Serra, Francisco & Pointon, John & Abdou, Hussein, 2012. "Factors influencing the propensity to export: A study of UK and Portuguese textile firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 210-224.
- Martín-Tapia, Inmaculada & Aragón-Correa, J. Alberto & Rueda-Manzanares, Antonio, 2010. "Environmental strategy and exports in medium, small and micro-enterprises," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 266-275, July.
- Martin-Tapia, Inmaculada & Aragon-Correa, Juan Alberto & Senise-Barrio, Maria Eugenia, 2008. "Being green and export intensity of SMEs: The moderating influence of perceived uncertainty," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1-2), pages 56-67, December.
- Sanidas, Elias, 2006. "The Impact of Large Firms in Promoting Economic Growth, Exports and Regional Integration: A Chandlerian Perspective with Emphasis on East Asia," Economics Working Papers wp06-23, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Bruining, H. & Verwaal, E. & Lockett, A. & Wright, D.M. & Manigart, S., 2005. "Firm Size Effects on Venture Capital Syndication: The Role of Resources and Transaction Costs," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2005-077-STR, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Fryges, Helmut, 2006. "Hidden champions - how young and small technology-oriented firms can attain high export-sales ratios," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-45, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Lu, Jiangyong & Xu, Bin & Liu, Xiaohui, 2007. "The Effects of Corporate Governance and Institutional Environments on Export Behaviour: Evidence from Chinese Listed Firms," MPRA Paper 6600, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Majocchi, Antonio & Bacchiocchi, Emanuele & Mayrhofer, Ulrike, 2005. "Firm size, business experience and export intensity in SMEs: A longitudinal approach to complex relationships," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 719-738, December.
- Jonsson, Sara & Lindbergh, Jessica, 2010. "The impact of institutional impediments and information and knowledge exchange on SMEs' investments in international business relationships," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 548-561, December.
- Gursoy, Guner, 2009. "A strategic shift of automobile manufacturing firms in Turkey," MPRA Paper 20233, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pla-Barber, José & Alegre, Joaquín, 2007. "Analysing the link between export intensity, innovation and firm size in a science-based industry," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 275-293, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.