Valuation Effects of foreign Company Listings on U.S. Exchanges
AbstractThis study examines post-listing equity price performance of foreign firms which cross-listed sponsored American Depository Receipts (ADRs) on the New York and the American Stock Exchanges during the period 1982-1992. We use three valuation metrics – price-to-book, price-to-cash-earnings, and price-to-earnings – which are adjusted for the home country and world industry indices to which the listing firm's stock belongs. We find positive valuation effects associated with cross-listing for both country-benchmarked and industry-benchmarked price ratios. Variables that proxy for home country characteristics such as governance styles, disclosure quality, market liquidity, and so forth are unable to explain the cross-sectional variation in the data. Our results thus suggest that cross-listing in the U.S. enhances valuations for listing firms by simply reducing the overall effect of segmentation among different national securities markets.© 1996 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1996) 27, 67–88
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 27 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Arnold, Tom & Nail, Lance & Nixon, Terry D., 2004. "Do ADRs enhance portfolio performance for a domestic portfolio? Evidence from the 1990s," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 341-359, September.
- Sarkissian, Sergei & Schill, Michael, 2010. "Why are U.S. firms listed in foreign markets worth more?," MPRA Paper 27543, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Oxelheim, Lars & Randøy, Trond & Stonehill, Arthur, 2001.
"On the treatment of finance-specific factors within the OLI paradigm,"
International Business Review,
Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 381-398, August.
- Oxelheim, Lars & Randøy, Trond & Stonehill, Arthur, 2001. "On the Treatment of Finance-Specific Factors Within the OLI Paradigm," Working Paper Series 554, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Doidge, Craig & Karolyi, G. Andrew & Stulz, Rene, 2007.
"Has New York Become Less Competitive in Global Markets? Evaluating Foreign Listing Choices over Time,"
Working Paper Series
2007-9, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Craig Doidge & G. Andrew Karolyi & Rene M. Stulz, 2007. "Has New York Become Less Competitive in Global Markets? Evaluating Foreign Listing Choices Over Time," NBER Working Papers 13079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brau, James C. & Rodríguez, Javier, 2009. "An empirical analysis of Mexican and US closed-end mutual fund IPOs," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Faff, Robert W. & Hodgson, Allan & Saudagaran, Shahrokh, 2002. "International cross-listings towards more liquid markets: the impact on domestic firms," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(4-5), pages 365-390.
- Braun, Gary P. & Traichal, Patrick A., 1999. "Competitiveness and the convergence of international business practice: North American evidence after NAFTA," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 107-122.
- Oxelheim, Lars & Randøy, Trond, 2001.
"The Impact of Foreign Board Membership on Firm Value,"
Working Paper Series
567, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Oxelheim, Lars & Randoy, Trond, 2003. "The impact of foreign board membership on firm value," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(12), pages 2369-2392, December.
- Doidge, Craig & Karolyi, G. Andrew & Stulz, Rene M., 2004.
"Why are foreign firms listed in the U.S. worth more?,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 205-238, February.
- Craig Doidge & G. Andrew Karolyi & Rene M. Stulz, 2001. "Why are Foreign Firms Listed in the U.S. Worth More?," NBER Working Papers 8538, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sarkissian, Sergei & Schill, Michael J., 2012. "The nature of the foreign listing premium: A cross-country examination," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 2494-2511.
- Kadiyala, Padma & Kadiyala, Prasad, 2004. "ADRs as leading indicators of exchange rates," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 83-107, March.
- Forssbæck, Jens & Oxelheim, Lars, 2011. "Corporate financial determinants of foreign direct investment," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 269-282, June.
- Fang, Hsing & Loo, Jean C. H., 2002. "Pricing of American Depositary Receipts under Market Segmentation," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 237-252.
- Forssbæck, Jens & Oxelheim, Lars, 2008. "Finance-specific factors as drivers of cross-border investment--An empirical investigation," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 630-641, December.
- Oxelheim, Lars & Randoy, Trond & Stonehill, Arthur, 2011. "What Can International Finance Add to International Strategy?," Working Paper Series 888, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Lok, Emily & Kalev, Petko S., 2006. "The intraday price behaviour of Australian and New Zealand cross-listed stocks," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 377-397.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.