Valuation Effects of foreign Company Listings on U.S. Exchanges
AbstractThis study examines post-listing equity price performance of foreign firms which cross-listed sponsored American Depository Receipts (ADRs) on the New York and the American Stock Exchanges during the period 1982-1992. We use three valuation metrics – price-to-book, price-to-cash-earnings, and price-to-earnings – which are adjusted for the home country and world industry indices to which the listing firm's stock belongs. We find positive valuation effects associated with cross-listing for both country-benchmarked and industry-benchmarked price ratios. Variables that proxy for home country characteristics such as governance styles, disclosure quality, market liquidity, and so forth are unable to explain the cross-sectional variation in the data. Our results thus suggest that cross-listing in the U.S. enhances valuations for listing firms by simply reducing the overall effect of segmentation among different national securities markets.© 1996 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1996) 27, 67–88
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 27 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Oxelheim, Lars & Randoy, Trond & Stonehill, Arthur, 2011. "What Can International Finance Add to International Strategy?," Working Paper Series 888, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Arnold, Tom & Nail, Lance & Nixon, Terry D., 2004. "Do ADRs enhance portfolio performance for a domestic portfolio? Evidence from the 1990s," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 341-359, September.
- Kadiyala, Padma & Kadiyala, Prasad, 2004. "ADRs as leading indicators of exchange rates," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 83-107, March.
- Forssbæck, Jens & Oxelheim, Lars, 2011. "Corporate financial determinants of foreign direct investment," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 269-282, June.
- Oxelheim, Lars & Randøy, Trond & Stonehill, Arthur, 2001.
"On the Treatment of Finance-Specific Factors Within the OLI Paradigm,"
Working Paper Series
554, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Oxelheim, Lars & Randøy, Trond & Stonehill, Arthur, 2001. "On the treatment of finance-specific factors within the OLI paradigm," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 381-398, August.
- Oxelheim, Lars & Randøy, Trond, 2001.
"The Impact of Foreign Board Membership on Firm Value,"
Working Paper Series
567, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Oxelheim, Lars & Randoy, Trond, 2003. "The impact of foreign board membership on firm value," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(12), pages 2369-2392, December.
- Braun, Gary P. & Traichal, Patrick A., 1999. "Competitiveness and the convergence of international business practice: North American evidence after NAFTA," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 107-122.
- Lok, Emily & Kalev, Petko S., 2006. "The intraday price behaviour of Australian and New Zealand cross-listed stocks," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 377-397.
- Brau, James C. & Rodríguez, Javier, 2009. "An empirical analysis of Mexican and US closed-end mutual fund IPOs," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Fang, Hsing & Loo, Jean C. H., 2002. "Pricing of American Depositary Receipts under Market Segmentation," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 237-252.
- Sarkissian, Sergei & Schill, Michael J., 2012. "The nature of the foreign listing premium: A cross-country examination," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 2494-2511.
- Forssbæck, Jens & Oxelheim, Lars, 2008. "Finance-specific factors as drivers of cross-border investment--An empirical investigation," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 630-641, December.
- Faff, Robert W. & Hodgson, Allan & Saudagaran, Shahrokh, 2002. "International cross-listings towards more liquid markets: the impact on domestic firms," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(4-5), pages 365-390.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.