International Trade and Productivity Growth: Exploring the Sectoral Effects for Developing Countries
AbstractThe paper estimates an empirical relation based on Krugman's "technological gap" model to explore the influence of the pattern of international trade and production on the overall productivity growth of a developing country. A key result is that increased import competition in medium-growth (but not in low- or high-growth) manufacturing sectors enhances overall productivity growth. The authors also find that a production-share weighted average of (technological leaders') sectoral productivity growth rates has a significant effect on the rate of aggregate productivity growth. Copyright 2000, International Monetary Fund
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal IMF Staff Papers.
Volume (Year): 47 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Azim M. Sadikov & Hans P. Lankes & Dustin Smith & Katrin Elborgh-Woytek & Jean-Jacques Hallaert, 2006. "Fiscal Implications of Multilateral Tariff Cuts," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 06/203, International Monetary Fund.
- Harrison, Ann & Rodríguez-Clare, Andrés, 2010.
"Trade, Foreign Investment, and Industrial Policy for Developing Countries,"
Handbook of Development Economics, Elsevier,
- Ann Harrison & Andrés Rodríguez-Clare, 2009. "Trade, Foreign Investment, and Industrial Policy for Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 15261, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jörg Mayer & Arunas Butkevicius & Ali Kadri & Juan Pizarro, 2004.
"Dynamic products in world exports,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer,
Springer, vol. 140(3), pages 762-795, September.
- Jörg Mayer & Arunas Butkevicius & Ali Kadri & Juan Pizarro, 2003. "Dynamic products in world exports," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, Springer, vol. 139(4), pages 762-795, December.
- Jörg Mayer & Arunas Butkevicius & Ali Kadri, 2002. "Dynamic Products In World Exports," UNCTAD Discussion Papers, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development 159, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Ang, James, 2009.
"CO2 Emissions, Research and Technology Transfer in China,"
13261, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ang, James B., 2009. "CO2 emissions, research and technology transfer in China," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 68(10), pages 2658-2665, August.
- Vidya Mahambare & V. N. Balasubramanyam, 2005. "Trade Liberalisation and India’s Manufacturing Sector," Development and Comp Systems, EconWPA 0505010, EconWPA.
- Katrin Elborgh-Woytek, 2003. "Of Openess and Distance," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 03/207, International Monetary Fund.
- Xiaolan Fu, 2004. "Exports, Technical Progress and Productivity Growth in Chinese Manufacturing Industries," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers, ESRC Centre for Business Research wp278, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Managi, Shunsuke & Kumar, Surender, 2009. "Trade-induced technological change: Analyzing economic and environmental outcomes," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 721-732, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.