Functional Form Problems in Modeling Insurance and Gambling
AbstractDefining the outputs of the property insurance and gambling sectors of an economy has proved to be a difficult problem for national income accountants. It is well known that the traditional expected-utility model is not consistent with economic agents fully insuring their property. Thus the present paper adapts existing non-expected-utility theories to yield useful measures of output for the property insurance and gambling sectors. The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance Theory (1995) 20, 135–150. doi:10.1007/BF01098962
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance Theory.
Volume (Year): 20 (1995)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Erwin Diewert, 2005. "Progress in Service Sector Productivity Measurement: Review Article on "Productivity in the U.S. Services Sector: New Sources of Economic Growth"," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 11, pages 57-69, Fall.
- J. David Cummins & Mary A. Weiss, 1998. "Analyzing Firm Performance in the Insurance Industry Using Frontier Efficiency Methods," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 98-22, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Cummins, J. David & Rubio-Misas, Maria & Zi, Hongmin, 2004. "The effect of organizational structure on efficiency: Evidence from the Spanish insurance industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 3113-3150, December.
- Kam Yu, 2009.
"Measuring the Output and Prices of the Lottery Sector: An Application of Implicit Expected Utility Theory,"
in: Price Index Concepts and Measurement, pages 405-425
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kam Yu, 2008. "Measuring the Output and Prices of the Lottery Sector: An Application of Implicit Expected Utility Theory," NBER Working Papers 14020, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William A. Barnett & Jane Binner & W. Erwin Diewert, 2005. "Functional Structure and Approximation in Econometrics (book front matter)," Econometrics 0511006, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.