Measuring investment in intangible assets in the UK: results from a new survey
AbstractSUMMARYThis article presents results of the Investment in Intangible Asset (IIA) Survey launched by ONS in October 2009. It is a new and unique survey of firms in the UK, drawn from the business register to represent the market sector of the economy. The survey is aimed at measuring investment of firms in six categories of intangible assets, these are: employer funded training, software, research and development (R&D), reputation and branding, design, and business process improvement. The survey also set out to measure the life lengths of investments in each asset. The results show the overall level of intangible asset spending in the UK is considerable. The article explores the incidence, expenditure levels and life lengths of these assets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Economic & Labour Market Review.
Volume (Year): 4 (2010)
Issue (Month): 7 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dutz, Mark A. & Kannebley, Sergio Jr. & Scarpelli, Maira & Sharma, Siddharth, 2012. "Measuring intangible assets in an emerging market economy: an application to Brazil," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6142, The World Bank.
- Dal Borgo, Mariela & Goodridge, Peter & Pesole, Annarosa, 2012.
"Productivity and Growth in UK Industries: An Intangible Investment Approach,"
CAGE Online Working Paper Series
87, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Haskel, J & Goodridge, P & Pesole, A & Dal Borgo, M, 2011. "Productivity and growth in UK industries: an intangible investment approach," Working Papers 9027, Imperial College, London, Imperial College Business School.
- Tether, B. & Bascavusoglu-Moreau, E., 2012. "A Different Path to Growth? Service Innovation and Performance amongst UK Manufacturers," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp433, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Haskel, J & Corrado, C & Jona-Lasinio, C & Iommi, M, 2013. "Innovation and intangible investment in Europe, Japan and the US," Working Papers 11139, Imperial College, London, Imperial College Business School.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.