Factor Shares and Inequality in the UK
AbstractTrends in factor shares in both national and household income are estimated from the national accounts and compared to those derived from the FES household survey in order to obtain more reliable measures of the contribution of changes in factor shares to the contemporary growth in income inequality. The national accounts indicate that upward trends in the shares of investment-related and self-employment incomes have contributed directly to the rise in inequality during the past 20 years--though to a generally secondary extent until 1986 at least. The paper outlines the importance and the difficulty of including appropriate measures of capital gains and private benefit income in estimates of household investment-related income, whether the national accounts or household surveys are used for evidence, indicating the continuing value of national income shares as a guide to the longer-run implications of factor shares for inequality. Copyright 1996 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Review of Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 12 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://oxrep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Eva Schlenker & Kai Daniel Schmid, 2013.
"Capital Income Shares and Income Inequality in the European Union,"
IMK Working Paper
119-2013, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Schlenker, Eva & Schmid, Kai D., 2013. "Capital income shares and income inequality in the European Union," FZID Discussion Papers 80-2013, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
- Martin Adler & Kai Daniel Schmid, 2012.
"Factor Shares and Income Inequality - Empirical Evidence from Germany 2002-2008,"
IAW Discussion Papers
82, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
- Martin Adler & Kai Daniel Schmid, 2012. "Factor Shares and Income Inequality: Empirical Evidence from Germany 2002-2008," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 460, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Adler, Martin & Schmid, Kai Daniel, 2012. "Factor shares and income inequality - Empirical evidence from Germany 2002 - 2008," University of Tuebingen Working Papers in Economics and Finance 34, University of Tuebingen, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.