Optimal taxation and risk-sharing arrangements in an economic federation
AbstractThis paper analyzes optimal taxation and risk-sharing arrangements in an economy with two levels of government. Both levels provide public goods and finance their expenditures via labor income taxation, where the tax base is responsive to the private agents' labor supply decisions. The localities are assumed to experience different random productivity shocks, meaning that the private labor supply decision as well as the choices of income tax rates are carried out under uncertainty. Part of the central government's decision problem is then to provide tax revenue sharing between the local governments. The optimal degree of revenue sharing depends on whether or not the localities-regions differ with respect to labor supply incentives. Copyright 2003, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 55 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thomas Aronsson & S�Ren Blomquist, 2008.
"Redistribution and Provision of Public Goods in an Economic Federation,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 10(1), pages 125-143, 02.
- Aronsson, Thomas & Blomquist, Sören, 2004. "Redistribution and Provision of Public Goods in an Economic Federation," Working Paper Series 2004:4, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Aronsson, Thomas & Blomquist, Sören, 2004. "Redistribution and Provision of Public Goods in an Economic Federation," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 636, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Lindahl, Erica & Westermark, Andreas, 2006. "Soft Budget Constraints as a Risk Sharing Arrangement in an Economic Federation," Working Paper Series 2006:5, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Blomquist, Sören & Micheletto, Luca, 2004. "Redistribution, In-Kind Transfers and Matching Grants when the Federal Government Lacks Information on Local Costs," Working Paper Series 2004:15, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.