Optimal Flat-Rate Taxes on Capital--A Re-examination of Lucas' Supply Side Model
AbstractWe examine the transitional dynamics of Lucas' supply side model of the US economy in order to specify the effects of capital taxation on economic growth and welfare. We restrict the analysis to policy plans characterized by constant capital taxes and require the government to maintain a balanced budget. Under these restrictions, the optimal tax rate on capital is shown to be positive and sensitive to the government expenditure rule. Welfare can be further increased by the introduction of a tax on asset holdings. Copyright 2000 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 52 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Burkhard Heer, 2000.
"Welfare Costs of Inflation in a Dynamic Economy with Search Unemployment and Endogenous Growth,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0478, Econometric Society.
- Heer, Burkhard, 2003. "Welfare costs of inflation in a dynamic economy with search unemployment," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 255-272, November.
- Burkhard Heer, 2000. "Welfare Costs of Inflation in a Dynamic Economy with Search Unemployment and Endogenous Growth," CESifo Working Paper Series 296, CESifo Group Munich.
- Josef Honerkamp & Stefan Moog & Bernd Raffelhüschen, 2004. "Earlier or Later: A General Equilibrium Analysis of Bringing Forward an Already Announced Tax Reform," CESifo Working Paper Series 1307, CESifo Group Munich.
- Josef Honerkamp & Stefan Moog & Bernd Raffelhüeschen, 2004. "Earlier Or Later: A General Equilibrium Analysis of Bringing Forward an Already Announced Tax Reform," Public Economics 0409012, EconWPA.
- Gomez, Manuel A., 2007. "Optimal tax structure in a two-sector model of endogenous growth," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 305-325, June.
- Holger Strulik, 2003. "Supply-Side Economics of Germany's Year 2000 Tax Reform: A Quantitative Assessment," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 4(2), pages 183-202, 05.
- Strulik, Holger & Trimborn, Timo, 2010.
"Anticipated tax reforms and temporary tax cuts: A general equilibrium analysis,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 2141-2158, October.
- Strulik, Holger & Trimborn, Timo, 2008. "Anticipated Tax Reforms and Temporary Tax Cuts: A General Equilibrium Analysis," Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover dp-406, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- George Halkos & Nickolas Kyriazis, 2006. "Is tax competition harmful and is the EU an optimal tax area?," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 163-177, April.
- Heer, Burkhard & Trede, Mark, 2003. "Efficiency and distribution effects of a revenue-neutral income tax reform," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 87-107, March.
- Manuel Gomez, 2003. "Effects of Flat-Rate Taxes: to What Extent Does the Leisure Specification Matter?," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 6(2), pages 404-430, April.
- Strulik, Holger, 2003.
"Capital tax reform, corporate finance, and economic growth and welfare,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 595-615, December.
- Holger Strulik, 1999. "Capital Tax Reform, Corporate Finance, and Economic Growth and Welfare," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 19908, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Steven P. Cassou & Kevin J. Lansing, 2006.
"Tax Reform with Useful Public Expenditures,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 8(4), pages 631-676, October.
- Burkhard Heer & Alfred Maussner, 2011. "The Cash-In-Advance Constraint in Monetary Growth Models," CESifo Working Paper Series 3647, CESifo Group Munich.
- repec:fip:fedfap:2000-15 is not listed on IDEAS
- Manuel A. Gómez, 2010. "The welfare cost of external habits: a quantitative assessment," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 37(1 Year 20), pages 5-26, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.