Cyclical and Structural Influences on Irish Unemployment
AbstractIn the course of the 1990s the Irish unemployment rate moved from near the top to close to the bottom of the EU league table. This paper identifies the cyclical and structural factors that have contributed to the transformation of the Irish labour market. A steady gain in competitiveness facilitated rapid growth in output and employment. The links between Irish and British unemployment rates have weakened as rapid economic growth has reduced Irish unemployment to historically low levels. The role of structural changes, including the relative generosity of the social welfare system and the wage bargaining process, are discussed. Copyright 2000 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 52 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Neary, J Peter, 2006.
CEPR Discussion Papers
5982, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Valerie Cerra & Jarkko Soikkeli, 2002.
"How Competitive is Irish Manufacturing?,"
IMF Working Papers
02/160, International Monetary Fund.
- Honohan, Patrick & Leddin, Anthony J, 2005.
"Ireland in EMU: More Shocks, Less Insulation?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5349, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Patrick Honohan & Anthony Leddin, 2005. "Ireland in EMU: more shocks, less insulation?," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp94, IIIS.
- Walsh, Brendan M., 2004. "The transformation of the Irish labour market : 1980-2003," Open Access publications from University College Dublin urn:hdl:10197/1542, University College Dublin.
- Brendan Walsh, 2004. "The Transformation of the Irish Labour Market - 1980-2003," Working Papers 200412, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- David E. Bloom & David Canning, 2003. "Contraception and the Celtic Tiger," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 34(3), pages 229â247.
- Bergin, Adele & Kearney, Ide, 2007. "Human capital accumulation in an open labour market: Ireland in the 1990s," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 839-858, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.