Worker Turnover and Job Reallocation: The Role of Fixed-Term Contracts
AbstractThis paper analyzes the role of fixed-term contracts in bringing about simultaneous worker flows and worker and job turnover in Spain. After exploring the issue that hirings (separations) are not restricted to growing (declining) establishments and that most firms are simultaneously engaged in hiring and separating workers, the extent of total worker turnover and its components is computed by contractual status. The findings are that worker and job turnover is higher for temporary employment and that fixed-term contracts are used mainly for rotation purposes, although they also account for the majority of job creation and destruction. Copyright 1998 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 51 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
Other versions of this item:
- Serrano, Carlos Garcia, 1998. "Worker Turnover and Job Reallocation: The Role of Fixed-Term Contracts," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(4), pages 709-25, October.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Harald Dale-Olsen & Dag Rønningen, 2000. "The Importance of Definitions of Data and Observation Frequen-cies for Job and Worker Flows - Norwegian Experiences 1996-1997," Discussion Papers 278, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- José Varejão & Pedro Portugal, 2003.
"Why Do Firms Use Fixed-Term Contracts?,"
CEF.UP Working Papers
0310, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Portugal, Pedro & Varejão, José, 2009. "Why Do Firms Use Fixed-Term Contracts?," IZA Discussion Papers 4380, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- José Varejão & Pedro Portugal, 2003. "Why do Firms Use Fixed-Term Contracts?," Working Papers w200308, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- repec:fth:prinin:443 is not listed on IDEAS
- Güell, Maia, 2003.
"Fixed-Term Contracts and the Duration Distribution of Unemployment,"
IZA Discussion Papers
791, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Maia Guell, 2001. "Fixed-term contracts and the duration distribution of unemployment," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20122, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Güell, Maia, 2002. "Fixed-Term Contracts and the Duration Distribution of Unemployment," CEPR Discussion Papers 3264, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maia Güell, 2001. "Fixed-Term Contracts and the Duration Distribution of Unemployment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0505, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Maia Güell, 2003. "Fixed-term Contracts and the Duration Distribution of Unemployment," Working Papers 105, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Maia Güell, 2002. "Fixed-term contracts and the duration distribution of unemployment," Economics Working Papers 602, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised May 2003.
- Andrea Caggese & Vicente Cuñat, 2006.
"Financing constraints and fixed-term employment contracts,"
Economics Working Papers
1010, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Andrea Caggese & Vicente Cuñat, 2008. "Financing Constraints and Fixed-term Employment Contracts," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(533), pages 2013-2046, November.
- Andrea Caggese & Vicente Cuñat, 2005. "Financing Constraints and Fixed-Term Employment Contracts," Working Papers 266, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes & Miguel Á. Malo, 2007. "How Are Fixed-term Contracts Used by Firms? An Analysis Using Gross Job and Worker Flows," Working Papers 0026, San Diego State University, Department of Economics.
- Gill, Indermit & Koettl, Johannes & Packard, Truman, 2013. "Full Employment: A Distant Dream for Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 7663, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:10:y:2004:i:4:p:1-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mahmood Arai & Fredrik Heyman, 2004. "Temporary contracts and the dynamics of job turnover," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 10(4), pages 1-6.
- Eva Nagypal, 2001. "Fixed-Term Contracts in Europe: A Reassessment in Light of the Importance of Match-Specific Learning," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0110, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.