The Birth of the Concept of Transaction Costs: Issues and Controversies
AbstractThis paper investigates the emergence of the concept of transaction costs in modern economics and explores three controversial issues of the 1970s which keep economists busy to this day: transaction costs require a rethinking of the economic notion of efficiency, suggest switching to a comparative institutional form of analysis, and are difficult to measure. The categories of technological versus institutional efficiency, technological versus institutional transaction costs, and subjective versus objective transaction costs are employed to clarify these issues. Copyright 2000 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Industrial & Corporate Change.
Volume (Year): 9 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://icc.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hardt, Lukasz, 2011. "An inquiry into the explanatory virtues of transaction cost economics," MPRA Paper 39561, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Decio Zylbersztajn & Carolina T. Graca, 2003. "Costos de formalización de las empresas: medición de los costos de transacción en Brasil," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 5(9), pages 146-165, July-Dece.
- Dick Ruiter, 2005. "Is Transaction Cost Economics Applicable to Public Governance?," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 287-303, November.
- Gilles, R.P. & Lazarova, E.A. & Ruys, P.H.M., 2011. "Economic Institutions and Stability: A Network Approach," Discussion Paper 2011-084, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.