Unemployment and Innovation Patterns: The Critical Role of Coordination
AbstractThis paper explores cross-country differences in unemployment and innovation patterns from the perspective of "comparative institutional analysis". A generalized efficiency wage model is proposed for the determination of equilibrium unemployment and innovation within two alternative scenarios: firms coordinating through either market mechanisms or social networks. The mode of coordination is shown to affect firms' choices of either radical or incremental innovations and their responses to competitive pressure. Higher unemployment may result as a consequence of specialization along innovation trajectories that increase job precariousness. Copyright 2000 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Industrial & Corporate Change.
Volume (Year): 9 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://icc.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Donatella Gatti, 2005.
"Competence, Knowledge, and the Labour Market. The Role of complementarities,"
Labor and Demography, EconWPA
- Gatti, Donatella, 2000. "Competence, knowledge, and the labour market: the role of complementarities," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Economic Change and Employment, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB) FS I 00-302, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Horst Feldmann, 2013. "Technological unemployment in industrial countries," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 23(5), pages 1099-1126, November.
- Gatti, Donatella, 2008. "Macroeconomic Effects of Ownership Structure in OECD Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 3415, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.