Impact of a gradual increase in milk quotas on the EU dairy sector
AbstractThe European Union (EU) dairy sector is facing significant changes due to EU enlargement, the Luxembourg reform and ongoing World Trade Organisation (WTO) negotiations. This paper explores the impact of alternative dairy policies in the context of a WTO agreement and further dairy policy adjustments. In particular, it analyses the impact of gradual but significant increases in EU milk quota and discusses the implications of different changes in the allocation of milk quotas. These scenarios are compared with the status quo as decided in the Common Agricultural Policy reform of 2003. We find that, by 2014--2015, the market effects of abolishing quota are similar to those of a 2 per cent gradual quota increase starting in 2009. Oxford University Press and Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics 2009; all rights reserved. For permissions, please email email@example.com, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 35 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kazukauskas, Andrius & Newman, Carol F. & Thorne, Fiona S., 2010. "Analysing the Effect of Decoupling on Agricultural Production: Evidence from Irish Dairy Farms using the Olley and Pakes Approach," Journal of International Agricultural Trade and Development, Journal of International Agricultural Trade and Development, vol. 59(3).
- Moro, Daniele & Sckokai, Paolo, 2011. "The impact of pillar I support on farm choices: conceptual and methodological challenges," 122nd Seminar, February 17-18, 2011, Ancona, Italy 99836, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Peerlings, Jack H.M. & Polman, Nico B.P. & Krol, Noortje, 2010. "Structural change in the EU dairy sector," 114th Seminar, April 15-16, 2010, Berlin, Germany 61088, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Moro, Daniele & Sckokai, Paolo, 2013. "The impact of decoupled payments on farm choices: Conceptual and methodological challenges," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 28-38.
- Krol, Noortje & Polman, Nico & Peerlings, Jack & Nikolov, Dimitre, 2010. "Changing governance in the EU milk supply chain," IAMO Forum 2010: Institutions in Transition â Challenges for New Modes of Governance 52703, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Klaus Salhofer & Christoph Tribl & Franz Sinabell, 2012. "Market power in Austrian food retailing: the case of milk products," Empirica, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 109-122, February.
- Baptiste Lelyon & Vincent Chatellier & Karine Daniel, 2011. "Decoupling and prices: determinant of dairy farmers’ choices?," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 92(1), pages 47-68.
- Baptiste Lelyon & Vincent Chatellier & Karine Daniel, 2011. "Decoupling and prices: determinant of dairy farmersâ€™ choices?," Working Papers 47123, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Kempen, Markus & Witzke, Peter & Pérez Domínguez, Ignacio & Jansson, Torbjörn & Sckokai, Paolo, 2011. "Economic and environmental impacts of milk quota reform in Europe," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 29-52, January.
- Soregaroli, Claudio & Sckokai, Paolo & Moro, Daniele, 2011. "Agricultural policy modelling under imperfect competition," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 195-212, March.
- Binfield, Julian C.R. & Donnellan, Trevor & Hanrahan, Kevin F. & Westhoff, Patrick C., 2009. "WTO Doha Round: Impact of an Agreement on Agriculture and the Importance of Sensitive Products," 83rd Annual Conference, March 30-April 1, 2009, Dublin, Ireland 50936, Agricultural Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.