Do consumers value nutritional labels?
AbstractThe European Union is contemplating making the provision of nutritional labels in food products mandatory. Using data collected from food shoppers, we assessed consumers' valuation of nutritional labels by analysing their willingness to pay a premium for a box of cookies with a nutritional label. On average, the mean willingness to pay (WTP) for a box of cookies with a nutritional label is estimated to be about 11 per cent above the price of the box of cookies without a nutritional label. Consistent with prior expectations, our results also indicate a difference between the WTP of individuals suffering from diet-related health problems (estimated mean 13 per cent) and those who do not suffer any diet-related health problems (estimated mean 9 per cent). Copyright 2006, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 33 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tomas Philipson & Richard Posner, 2008. "Is the Obesity Epidemic a Public Health Problem? A Decade of Research on the Economics of Obesity," NBER Working Papers 14010, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Birol, Ekin & Roy, Devesh & Deffner, Katharina & Karandikar, Bhushana, 2009. "Developing country consumers’ demand for food safety and quality: Is Mumbai ready for certified and organic fruits?," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51689, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Andreas C. Drichoutis & Panagiotis Lazaridis & Rodolfo M. Nayga, 2009. "Would consumers value food-away-from-home products with nutritional labels?," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(4), pages 550-575.
- Bond, Craig A. & Thilmany, Dawn D. & Bond, Jennifer Keeling, 2007. "What to Choose? The Value of Label Claims to Produce Consumers," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9704, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Chang, Jae Bong & Moon, Wanki & Balasubramanian, Siva K., 2012. "Consumer valuation of health attributes for soy-based food: A choice modeling approach," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 335-342.
- Balcombe, Kelvin & Fraser, Iain & Falco, Salvatore Di, 2010.
"Traffic lights and food choice: A choice experiment examining the relationship between nutritional food labels and price,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 211-220, June.
- Kelvin Balcombe & Iain Fraser & Salvatore Di Falco, 2009. "Traffic Lights and Food Choice: A Choice Experiment Examining the Relationship Between Nutritional Food Labels and Price," Studies in Economics 0915, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Nichele, Veronique & Soler, Louis-Georges, 2011. "Is voluntary nutritional labelling efficient? An analysis of the biscuits and cakes sector in France," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 109191, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Bond, Craig A. & Thilmany, Dawn D. & Bond, Jennifer Keeling, 2008. "What to Choose? The Value of Label Claims to Fresh Produce Consumers," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(3), December.
- Kelvin Balcombe & Iain Fraser, 2009. "A General Treatment of Non-Response Data From Choice Experiments Using Logit Models," Studies in Economics 0916, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Stefanella Stranieri & Lucia Baldi & Alessandro Banterle, 2010.
"Do Nutrition Claims Matter to Consumers? An Empirical Analysis Considering European Requirements,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(1), pages 15-33.
- Banterle, Alessandro & Baldi, Lucia & Stranieri, Stefanella, 2008. "Do Nutritional Claims Matter To Consumers? An Empirical Analysis Considering European Requirements," Miscellaneous Papers 37839, Agecon Search.
- Joshua P. Berning & Hayley H. Chouinard & Kenneth C. Manning & Jill J. McCluskey & David E. Sprott, 2009.
"Identifying Consumer Preferences for Nutrition Information on Grocery Store Shelf Labels,"
Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports
120, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Berning, Joshua P. & Chouinard, Hayley H. & Manning, Kenneth C. & McCluskey, Jill J. & Sprott, David E., 2010. "Identifying consumer preferences for nutrition information on grocery store shelf labels," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 429-436, October.
- Berning, Joshua & Chouinard, Hayley & Manning, Kenneth & McCluskey, Jill & Sprott, David, 2009. "Identifying Consumer Preferences for Nutrition Information on Grocery Store Shelf Labels," Research Reports 149962, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Jeanty, Pierre Wilner & Hitzhusen, Frederick J., 2007. "Using stated preferences to estimate the environmental benefits of using biodiesel fuel in diesel engines," Biofuels, Food and Feed Tradeoffs, Biofuels, Food and Feed Tradeoffs Conference, April 12-13, 2007, St, Louis, Missouri 48773, Farm Foundation.
- Kim, Hyeyoung & House, Lisa, 2012. "Impact of Added Sugar Information of Front-of-Pack Labels on Consumers’ Beverage Health Perception Changes," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124713, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Birol, Ekin & Roy, Devesh & Torero, Maximo, 2010. "How safe is my food?: Assessing the effect of information and credible certification on consumer demand for food safety in developing countries," IFPRI discussion papers 1029, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Yang, Shang-Ho & Woods, Timothy A., 2013. "Assessing Consumer Willingness to Pay for Ground Bison Given Nutrition Information," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 143079, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.