Food scares, market power and price transmission: the UK BSE crisis
AbstractThis paper is concerned with the impact of food scares, principally the BSE crisis in the UK, and focuses on price transmission in vertically related markets. We show that if market power has an effect on the farm--retail margin, this determines the specification of the cointegrating relationship and thus provides a test of market power. The results for the UK beef chain suggest that we cannot reject the importance of market power. The impact of the BSE crisis on farm prices is found to be more than double that on retail prices, thus corroborating public concerns regarding a differential impact of food scares on retailers and producers. Copyright 2006, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 33 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Oral Capps Jr. & Sergio Colin‐Castillo & Manuel A. Hernandez, 2013.
"Do Marketing Margins Change with Food Scares? Examining the Effects of Food Recalls and Disease Outbreaks in the U.S. Red Meat Industry,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(4), pages 426-454, 09.
- Hernandez, Manuel & Colin-Castillo, Sergio & Capps, Oral, Jr., 2011. "Do marketing margins change with food scares?: Examining the effects of food recalls and disease outbreaks in the us red meat industry," IFPRI discussion papers 1104, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Colin-Castillo, Sergio & Capps, Oral, Jr. & Hernandez, Manuel A., 2012. "Do Marketing Margins Change with Food Scares? Examining the Effects of Food Recalls and Disease Outbreaks in the U.S. Red Meat Industry," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124966, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Carlos Arnade & Fred Kuchler & Linda Calvin, 2013. "Consumers’ Response When Regulators Are Uncertain About the Source of Foodborne Illness," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 17-36, March.
- Steiner, Bodo E., 2007. "Formal beef alliances and alignment challenges: issues in contracting, pricing and quality," Project Report Series 7709, University of Alberta, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology.
- Cavicchioli, Daniele, 2010.
"Detecting Market Power Along Food Supply Chains: Evidence From the Fluid Milk Sector in Italy,"
116th Seminar, October 27-30, 2010, Parma, Italy
94991, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Daniele CAVICCHIOLI, 2013. "Detecting market power along food supply chains: evidence from the fluid milk sector in Italy," Departmental Working Papers 2013-01, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano, revised 30 Jan 2013.
- Bakucs, Lajos Zoltan & Ferto, Imre & Hockmann, Heinrich & Perekhozhuk, Oleksandr, 2009. "Market power on the edge? An analysis of the German and Hungarian hog markets," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 58(8).
- Burrell, Alison M., 2010. "Is it becoming more difficult to research EU agricultural sector policies?," 50st Annual Conference, Braunschweig, Germany, September 29-October 1, 2010 93946, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Fritz, Melanie & Schiefer, Gerhard, 2009. "Tracking, tracing, and business process interests in food commodities: A multi-level decision complexity," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 317-329, February.
- Park, Moon-Soo & Jin, Yanhong H. & Bessler, David A., 2008.
"The Impacts of Animal Disease Crises on the Korean Meat Market,"
2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida
6365, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Moonsoo Park & Yanhong H. Jin & David A. Bessler, 2008. "The impacts of animal disease crises on the Korean meat market," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 39(2), pages 183-195, 09.
- Hediger, Werner, 2008. "Agriculture’s Multifunctionality, Sustainability, and Social Responsibility," 82nd Annual Conference, March 31 - April 2, 2008, Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, UK 36854, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Soregaroli, Claudio & Sckokai, Paolo & Moro, Daniele, 2011. "Agricultural policy modelling under imperfect competition," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 195-212, March.
- Jolejole-Foreman, Maria Christina & Mallory, Mindy L., 2011. "Analyzing Market Price Transmission, Government Intervention and Weather Shocks for Rice Market in the Philippines," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103163, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Abdessalem Abbassi & Lota D. Tamini & Jean‐Philippe Gervais, 2012.
"Do Inventories Have an Impact on Price Transmission? Evidence From the Canadian Chicken Industry,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(2), pages 173-186, 03.
- Abbassi, Abdessalem & Tamini, Lota D. & Gervais, Jean-Philippe, 2011. "Do inventories have an impact on price transmission? Evidence from the Canadian chicken industry," MPRA Paper 30868, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniel May, 2011. "Agricultural trade liberalization under bilateralism: an international network perspective," Portuguese Economic Journal, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 23-34, April.
- Rajcaniova, Miroslava & Pokrivcak, Jan, 2013. "Asymmetry in Price Transmission Mechanism: The Case of Slovak Potato Market," Review of Agricultural and Applied Economics (RAAE), Faculty of Economics and Management, Slovak Agricultural University in Nitra Provider-Homepage: http://www.roaae.org & Association of Agricultural Economists in Slovakia (APES), vol. 16(2).
- Serra, Teresa, 2011. "Food scare crises and price volatility: The case of the BSE in Spain," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 179-185, April.
- Saha, Bishnu & Mitura, Verna, 2008. "Price Transmission Along the Canadian Beef Supply Chain and the Impact of BSE," Agriculture and Rural Working Paper Series 54823, Statistics Canada.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.