A selected review of agricultural commodity futures and options markets
AbstractThis paper provides a selected review of the research literature on commodity futures and options markets, focusing primarily on empirical studies. The topics featured include the development of intertemporal price relationships, hedging and basis relationships, price behaviour, and discussion of the markets' institutional issues. In each case the recent contributions are recognised. Using this base of information as background, we focus on identifying and motivating future research challenges for agricultural commodity futures and options markets. Copyright 2004, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 31 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Baldi, Lucia & Peri, Massimo & Vandone, Daniela, 2011. "Price Discovery in Agricultural Commodities: The Shifting Relationship Between Spot and Future Prices," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114237, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lucia BALDI & Massimo PERI & Daniela VANDONE, 2011.
"Spot and future prices of agricultural commodities: fundamentals and speculation,"
Departmental Working Papers
2011-03, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Baldi, Lucia & Peri, Massimo & Vandone, Daniela, 2011. "Spot and Futures Prices of Agricultural Commodities: Fundamentals and Speculation," 2011 International European Forum, February 14-18, 2011, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 122002, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Sanders, Dwight R. & Garcia, Philip & Manfredo, Mark R., 2007. "Information Content in Deferred Futures Prices: Live Cattle and Hogs," 2007 Conference, April 16-17, 2007, Chicago, Illinois 37562, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Rashid, Shahidur & Winter-Nelson, Alex & Garcia, Philip, 2010. "Purpose and potential for commodity exchanges in African economies:," IFPRI discussion papers 1035, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Frank, Julieta & Garcia, Philip & Irwin, Scott H., 2007.
"To What Surprises Do Hog Futures Markets Respond?,"
2007 Conference, April 16-17, 2007, Chicago, Illinois
37573, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Gutierrez, Luciano, 2011. "Looking for Rational Bubbles in Agricultural Commodity Markets," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 120377, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Scott H. Irwin & Dwight R. Sanders, 2011. "Index Funds, Financialization, and Commodity Futures Markets," Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 33(1), pages 1-31.
- Mattos, Fabio & Garcia, Philip & Nelson, Carl, 2008.
"Relaxing standard hedging assumptions in the presence of downside risk,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 78-93, February.
- Mattos, Fabio & Garcia, Philip & Nelson, Carl H., 2005. "Relaxing Standard Hedging Assumptions in the Presence of Downside Risk," 2005 Conference, April 18-19, 2005, St. Louis, Missouri 19040, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Franken, Jason R.V. & Garcia, Philip & Irwin, Scott H., 2006. "Do Interest Rates Explain Disaggregate Commodity Price Growth?," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21319, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Pedersen, Michael Friis, 2012. "Reallocation of price risk among members," 123rd Seminar, February 23-24, 2012, Dublin, Ireland 122529, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Karali, Berna & Dorfman, Jeffrey H. & Thurman, Walter N., 2008. "Do Inventory and Time-to-Delivery Effects Vary Across Futures Contracts? Insights from a Smoothed Bayesian Estimator," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6084, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Anastassiadis, Friederieke & Feil, Jan-Henning & Musshoff, Oliver & Schilling, Philipp, 2013. "Analysing farmers' use of price hedging instruments: an experimental approach," DARE Discussion Papers 1306, Georg-August University of Göttingen, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development (DARE).
- Mattos, Fabio & Garcia, Philip & Pennings, Joost M.E., 2008. "Probability weighting and loss aversion in futures hedging," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 433-452, November.
- Strydom, D.B. & Grove, Bennie & Kruger, Y. & Willemse, B.J., 2010. "Stochastic Efficiency Analysis Of Alternative Basic Maize Marketing Strategies," 2010 AAAE Third Conference/AEASA 48th Conference, September 19-23, 2010, Cape Town, South Africa 96812, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE) & Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.