Strategic Effects of Private Labels
AbstractThis paper presents a model of retailer-manufacturer interaction that focuses on retail competition between national brands and private labels positioned by retailers to compete with them. The final demand side involves vertical differentiation between the private label (low quality) and the national brand (high quality). It is assumed that production costs for the national brand and the private label differ not only by sunk costs (advertising) but also by marginal costs, and that the marginal cost function is increasing and convex in quality. We study equilibrium price strategies for both agents when the quality of the private label varies and we compute the optimal private label quality from the retailer's point of view. We also determine the effect of the private label on the agents' profits. Our results suggest that the wholesale price of the branded good may increase as the private label good becomes a closer substitute for it. Moreover, introducing a private label reduces the double marginalisation problem in the vertical structural. Copyright 1999 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 26 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Philippe Bontems & Sylvette Monier-Dilhan & Vincent RÃ©quillart, 1999. "Strategic effects of private labels," Working Papers 156390, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Philippe Bontems & Sylvette Monier-Dilhan & Vincent RÃ©quillart, 1999. "Strategic effects of private labels," Working Papers 162412, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.