The Impact of Industrial Protection on Agriculture: A General Equilibrium Analysis for Peninsular Malaysia
AbstractThis paper quantitatively investigates the effects of trade policy on agriculture in Peninsular Malaysia using a multisectoral, general equilibrium model. In general, the results bear out the expectation that industrial protection distorts incentives favoring manufacturing and nontradable activities over agriculture as a whole. Whereas this result is familiar from other recent studies, the general-equilibrium approach allows many additional disaggregate findings. Industrial protection in Malaysia taxes, e.g., not all agricultural sectors. The rubber sector is discriminated by tariff protection for manufacturing, but the oil palm sector is favored due to string forward linkages to the protected industries. Copyright 1991 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 18 (1991)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wiebelt, Manfred & Herrmann, Roland & Schenck, Patricia & Thiele, Rainer, 1992. "Discrimination against agriculture in developing countries?," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 458, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Wiebelt, Manfred, 1992. "Boomende Exportmärkte und landwirtschaftliche Entwicklung: Eine allgemeine Gleichgewichtsanalyse für Malaysia," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 2021, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Amelung, Torsten & Wiebelt, Manfred, 1991. "Deforestation in the tropics: a framework for economic analysis," Kiel Working Papers 488, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.