Some Comments on Free-Riding in Leontief Partnerships
AbstractHolmstrom (1982) showed that free-riding is inevitable in partnerships where inputs are substitutes. Legros and Matthews (1993) and Vislie (1994) showed that when inputs are strict complements (Leontief technology), free-riding can be avoided with a linear sharing rule. This paper considers the robustness and some extensions of the positive result of these articles. First, I show that Legros and Matthews's and Vislie's results are not robust to the introduction of participation constraints and limited liability. However, I construct a novel rule that mitigates that problem. Second, I perturb the (deterministic) model of the other authors. It turns out that free-riding is avoidable with noise added to joint output and is inevitable when noise is added to individual productivity. Copyright 2001 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Economic Inquiry.
Volume (Year): 39 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://ei.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Geir Asheim & Seung Yoo, 2008.
"Coordinating under incomplete information,"
Review of Economic Design,
Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 293-313, December.
- Jan Y. Sand, 2009. "Efficiency in complementary partnerships with competition," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(1), pages 57-70.
- Basu, Kaushik & Weibull, Jörgen W., 2002. "Punctuality - A Cultural Trait as Equilibrium," Working Paper Series 582, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- L. Bagnoli & G. Negroni, 2008. "The emergence of norms of cooperation in stag hunt games with production," Working Papers 626, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.