Exchange rate indeterminacy in portfolio balance, Mundell--Fleming and uncovered interest rate parity models
AbstractWith full stock/flow accounting respected, the two-country open economy portfolio balance model has just two independent equations for asset market clearing. It can determine home and foreign interest rates but not the exchange rate. If asset market equilibria vary smoothly over time, the balance of payments equation in the Mundell--Fleming model is not independent and cannot set the exchange rate either. The familiar fixed reserves/'floating rate' vs endogenous reserves/'fixed rate' dichotomy does not exist, and 'fundamentals-based' econometric models of the exchange rate are bound to fail. An alternative is a two-country IS/LM model with exchange rate dynamics added. Its dynamic properties under uncovered interest rate parity are briefly explored. Copyright 2004, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Cambridge Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 28 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Martín Rapetti, 2013. "The Real Exchange Rate and Economic Growth: Some Observations on the Possible Channels," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2013-11, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Roberto Frenkel & Lance Taylor, 2006. "Real Exchange Rate, Monetary Policy and Employment," Working Papers 19, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- Plakandaras, Vasilios & Papadimitriou, Theophilos & Gogas, Periklis, 2012. "Directional forecasting in financial time series using support vector machines: The USD/Euro exchange rate," DUTH Research Papers in Economics 5-2012, Democritus University of Thrace, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.