Coase on the nature of economics
AbstractRecent writings on Coase's methodology largely focus on method, at the risk of underappreciating his substantive view of economics. That economics has as its subject matter the working of the real world economic system is Coase's main methodological message and is also the key to understanding Coase's other methodological concerns. Coase's methodological position is illustrated in this paper by comparing him with other economists in terms of their differing research programmes informed by their methodological stances. Along the way, this paper outlines the new institutional economics, a research programme inspired by Coase's methodology. Copyright 2003, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Cambridge Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2003)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Simon Janßen & Uschi Backes-Gellner, 2009.
"Skill Obsolescence, Vintage Effects and Changing Tasks,"
Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik),
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 55(1), pages 83-103.
- Simon Janssen & Uschi Backes-Gellner, 2008. "Skill obsolescence, vintage effects and changing tasks," Economics of Education Working Paper Series 0063, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Michel Marchesnay, 2006. "Galbraith : d'un institutionnalisme à l'autre ?," Innovations, De Boeck Université, vol. 23(1), pages 31-48.
- Mario García Molina & Liliana Chicaíza Becerra, 2013. "Las decisiones de los economistas: Coase y los sesgos cognitivos en el trabajo teórico," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 15(29), pages 21-39, July-Dece.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.