Wage Change and Trade Performance in U.S. Manufacturing Industries
AbstractThis paper presents empirical measurement of wage contours in US industry, 1959-88, applying cluster analysis to the path of change of average hourly wages. We define six principal industrial clusters and present simple wage-change equations for each cluster. A series of tests shows that the 'rules of the economic game' differ across our industrial groups: industrial structure matters to wage outcomes. Finally, we present the evolving relationship between relative wage levels and the comparative trade performance of the clusters. The results suggest a strong association between trade performance and the evolving industrial wage structure, contrary to the findings of some other recent studies. We conclude that the reclassification of industrial data along lines specific to the problem being studied is an important analytical step, whose neglect in previous work has led some researchers to understate the influence of industrial structure and trade pressures on wages. (c) 1996 Academic Press Limited Copyright 1996 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Cambridge Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 20 (1996)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vesna Stavrevska, 2011. "The efficiency wages perspective to wage rigidity in the open economy: a survey," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 32(3), pages 273-299, July.
- Zakhilwal, Omar, 2001. "The Impact of International Trade on the Wages of Canadians," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2001156e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.