Is Low Inflation an Important Condition for High Growth?
AbstractFactual evidence for the seemingly universal belief that low price inflation is necessary for high GNP growth is curiously lacking, maybe even felt to be unnecessary. This paper takes what is thought to be all the, not very voluminous, postwar factual data that are relevant and treats this data in a number of ways to find whether any convincing demonstration of the truth of this belief is possible. The paper concludes that it is not. (c) 1993 Academic Press, Inc. Copyright 1993 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Cambridge Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ahortor, Christian R.K. & Adenutsi, Deodat E., 2009. "Inflation, capital accumulation and economic growth in import-dependent developing countries," MPRA Paper 29353, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2010.
- Schaling, E. & Smyth, D., 1994.
"The effects of inflation on growth and fluctuations in dynamic macroeconomic models,"
1994-46, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Schaling, E. & Smyth, D., 1994. "The effects of inflation on growth and fluctuations in dynamic macroeconomic models," Discussion Paper 1994-39, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Kevin S. Nell, 2000. "Is Low Inflation a Precondition for Faster Growth? The Case of South Africa," Studies in Economics 0011, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Vishnu Padayachee, 2001. "Central Bank transformation in a globalized world: the Reserve Bank in post-apartheid South Africa," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(6), pages 741-765.
- Gilberto Libanio, 2005. ""Good governance" in monetary policy and the negative real effects of inflation targeting in developing economies," Textos para DiscussÃ£o Cedeplar-UFMG td277, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Mary Bange & William Bernhard & Jim Granato & Lauren Jones, 1997. "The effect of inflation on the natural rate of output: experimental evidence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(9), pages 1191-1199.
- Becchetti, Leonardo & Hasan, Iftekhar & Mavrotas, George, 2005. "Education, Financial Institutions, Inflation and Growth," Working Paper Series RP2005/72, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- O'Reilly, B., 1998. "The Benefits of Low Inflation: Taking Shock "A nickel ain't worth a dime any more" [Yogi Berra]," Technical Reports 83, Bank of Canada.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.