The Dynamics of Competition: A Restoration of the Classical Analysis
AbstractThe main purpose of this article is to show that it is possible to construct a model of competition based on the classical perspective (Smith, Ricardo, and Marx). An analysis of the work of the classics is presented, and their views of the workings of competition is contrasted with neoclassical and Keynesian approaches. A simple model, with two commodities, is constructed, in which the stability of the classical long-term equilibrium is shown (under certain conditions). This first model is developed to include the treatments of gravitation, rationing, deficiency in demand, choice of the technology, and three commodities. Copyright 1987 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Cambridge Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 11 (1987)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dumenil, Gerald & Levy, Dominique, 1995. "Structural change and prices of production," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 397-434, December.
- Lee, Frederic & Jo, Tae-Hee, 2010.
"Social surplus approach and heterodox economics,"
27636, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tsoulfidis, Lefteris & Tsaliki, Persefoni, 2011.
"Classical competition and regulating capital: theory and empirical evidence,"
51334, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2013.
- Lefteris Tsoulfidis & Persefoni Tsaliki, 2011. "Classical Competition and Regulating Capital: Theory and Empirical Evidence," Discussion Paper Series 2011_02, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Feb 2011.
- Lefteris Tsoulfidis, 2011.
"Classical vs. Neoclassical Conceptions of Competition,"
Discussion Paper Series
2011_11, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Nov 2011.
- Tsoulfidis, Lefteris, 2011. "Classical vs. Neoclassical Conceptions of Competition," MPRA Paper 43999, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Oct 2012.
- Alain Hersovici, 2005. "O modelo de instabilidade de Harrod: uma abordagem em termos de não linearidade," Working Papers 0020, Universidade Federal do Paraná, Department of Economics.
- Andrea Vaona, 2011. "Further econometric evidence on the gravitation and convergence of industrial rates of return on regulating capital," Working Papers 08/2011, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Stefania Tescari & Andrea Vaona, 2013. "Regulating rates of return do gravitate in US manufacturing!," Working Papers 19/2013, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Pereira, Luiz Carlos Bresser & Lima, Gilberto Tadeu, 1996. "The Relative Autonomy of Macroeconomics, a Methodological Approach," Textos para discussÃ£o 49, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Salvadori, Neri & Signorino, Rodolfo, 2010.
"The classical notion of competition revisited,"
22499, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.