Classical Competition and Regulating Capital: Theory and Empirical Evidence
AbstractIn this article we discuss the salient features of the classical and neoclassical theories of competition and we test their fundamental propositions using data from Greek manufacturing industries. The cross section data of 3-digit (total 91) industries of the three (pooled together) census years show no evidence of a direct statistical relationship between the degree of concentration and profitability. The econometric analysis of time series data for 2-digit industries lends support to the hypothesis for the long-run tendential equalization of incremental rates of return to the economy’s average incremental rate of return.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Macedonia in its series Discussion Paper Series with number 2011_02.
Date of creation: Feb 2011
Date of revision: Feb 2011
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uom.gr/index.php?tmima=3
Competition; regulating capital; incremental rate of return; tendential equalization.;
Other versions of this item:
- Tsoulfidis, Lefteris & Tsaliki, Persefoni, 2011. "Classical competition and regulating capital: theory and empirical evidence," MPRA Paper 51334, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2013.
- B14 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought through 1925 - - - Socialist; Marxist
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shaikh, Anwar, 1980. "Marxian Competition versus Perfect Competition: Further Comments on the So-Called Choice of Technique," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(1), pages 75-83, March.
- Mill, John Stuart, 1848. "Principles of Political Economy (III): Exchange," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, volume 3, number mill1848-3.
- Clifton, James A, 1977. "Competition and the Evolution of the Capitalist Mode of Production," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(2), pages 137-51, June.
- Lefteris Tsoulfidis & Persefoni Tsaliki, 2005. "Marxian Theory of Competition and the Concept of Regulating Capital: Evidence from Greek Manufacturing," Review of Radical Political Economics, Union for Radical Political Economics, vol. 37(1), pages 5-22, March.
- Schmalensee, Richard., 1987.
"Inter-industry studies of structure and performance,"
1874-87., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Schmalensee, Richard, 1989. "Inter-industry studies of structure and performance," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 951-1009 Elsevier.
- Mason, Patrick L., 1994. "An empirical derivation of the industry wage equation," MPRA Paper 11325, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrea Vaona, 2011. "An empirical investigation into the gravitation and convergence of industry return rates in OECD countries," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(4), pages 465-502.
- Mill, John Stuart, 1848. "Principles of Political Economy (I): Production," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, volume 1, number mill1848-1.
- Dumenil, Gerard & Levy, Dominique, 1987. "The Dynamics of Competition: A Restoration of the Classical Analysis," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(2), pages 133-64, June.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2003. "Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 359-379, February.
- Mill, John Stuart, 1848. "Principles of Political Economy (II): Distribution," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, volume 2, number mill1848-2.
- Baumol, William J, 1982. "Contestable Markets: An Uprising in the Theory of Industry Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Anwar M. Shaikh, 1998.
"The Stock Market and the Corporate Sector: A Profit-Based Approach,"
- Anwar M. Shaikh, 1995. "The Stock Market and the Corporate Sector: Profit-Based Approach," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_146, Levy Economics Institute.
- Kaskarelis, Ioannis & Tsoulfidis, Lefteris, 1999. "Inflation, Demand, Import Competition and Markups in Greek Manufacturing Industries," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 52(2), pages 151-171.
- Maria Christidou & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010.
"Purchasing Power Parity and the European Single Currency: Some New Evidence,"
KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers
1018, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Christidou, Maria & Panagiotidis, Theodore, 2010. "Purchasing Power Parity and the European single currency: Some new evidence," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1116-1123, September.
- Maria Christidou & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "Purchasing Power Parity and the European Single Currency: Some New Evidence," Discussion Paper Series 2010_03, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Apr 2010.
- Maria Christidou & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "Purchasing Power Parity and the European Single Currency: Some New Evidence," Working Paper Series 19_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Ajit Zacharias, 2001. "Testing Profit Rate Equalization in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector: 1947-1998," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_321, Levy Economics Institute.
- Persefoni Tsaliki & Lefteris Tsoulfidis, 1998. "Alternative Theories of Competition: evidence from Greek manufacturing," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 187-204.
- Flaschel, Peter & Semmler, Willi, 1987. "Classical and Neoclassical Competitive Adjustment Processes," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 55(1), pages 13-37, March.
- n/a, 2001. "Balance of payments prospects in EMU," NIESR Discussion Papers 164, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Stefania Tescari & Andrea Vaona, 2013. "Regulating rates of return do gravitate in US manufacturing!," Working Papers 19/2013, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Theodore Panagiotidis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.