Auxiliary mixture sampling for parameter-driven models of time series of counts with applications to state space modelling
AbstractWe consider parameter-driven models of time series of counts, where the observations are assumed to arise from a Poisson distribution with a mean changing over time according to a latent process. Estimation of these models is carried out within a Bayesian framework using data augmentation and Markov chain Monte Carlo methods. We suggest a new auxiliary mixture sampler, which possesses a Gibbsian transition kernel, where we draw from full conditional distributions belonging to standard distribution families only. Emphasis lies on application to state space modelling of time series of counts, but we show that auxiliary mixture sampling may be applied to a wider range of parameter-driven models, including random-effects models and panel data models based on the Poisson distribution. Copyright 2006, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Biometrika Trust in its journal Biometrika.
Volume (Year): 93 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://biomet.oxfordjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- McCausland, William J. & Miller, Shirley & Pelletier, Denis, 2011. "Simulation smoothing for state-space models: A computational efficiency analysis," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 199-212, January.
- Chan, Joshua & Strachan, Rodney, 2012.
"Estimation in Non-Linear Non-Gaussian State Space Models with Precision-Based Methods,"
39360, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joshua Chan & Rodney Strachan, 2012. "Estimation in Non-Linear Non-Gaussian State Space Models with Precision-Based Methods," CAMA Working Papers 2012-13, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Kleppe, Tore Selland & Liesenfeld, Roman, 2011. "Efficient high-dimensional importance sampling in mixture frameworks," Economics Working Papers 2011,11, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Feigin, Paul D. & Gould, Phillip & Martin, Gael M. & Snyder, Ralph D., 2008. "Feasible parameter regions for alternative discrete state space models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(17), pages 2963-2970, December.
- Nakajima, Jouchi & Kunihama, Tsuyoshi & Omori, Yasuhiro & Frühwirth-Schnatter, Sylvia, 2012.
"Generalized extreme value distribution with time-dependence using the AR and MA models in state space form,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 56(11), pages 3241-3259.
- Jouchi Nakajima & Tsuyoshi Kunihama & Yasuhiro Omori & Sylvia Fruhwirth-Schnatter, 2011. "Generalized Extreme Value Distribution with Time-Dependence Using the AR and MA Models in State Space Form," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-782, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Jouchi Nakajima & Tsuyoshi Kunihama & Yasuhiro Omori & Sylvia Fruhwirth-Schnatter, 2009. "Generalized extreme value distribution with time-dependence using the AR and MA models in state space form," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-689, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Jouchi Nakajima & Tsuyoshi Kunihama & Yasuhiro Omori & Sylvia Fruwirth-Scnatter, 2009. "Generalized Extreme Value Distribution with Time-Dependence Using the AR and MA Models in State Space Form," IMES Discussion Paper Series 09-E-32, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Adebayo, Samson B. & Fahrmeir, Ludwig & Seiler, Christian, 2009. "Geoadditive latent variable modelling of count data on multiple sexual partnering in Nigeria," MPRA Paper 27839, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Frühwirth-Schnatter, Sylvia & Wagner, Helga, 2010. "Stochastic model specification search for Gaussian and partial non-Gaussian state space models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 154(1), pages 85-100, January.
- McCausland, William J., 2012. "The HESSIAN method: Highly efficient simulation smoothing, in a nutshell," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 168(2), pages 189-206.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.