International Financial Volatility and Commodity Exports: Evidence from the Thai Agricultural Sector
AbstractUsing 1981--2006 data from the Bank of Thailand, I estimate the effect of four measures of real exchange rate volatility on Thai exports of five key agricultural commodities, controlling for both the level of the real exchange rate and foreign incomes. Estimates of the effect of volatility on export volume are generally negative and often significant, lending support to a range of theoretical models that predict such an effect. No such relationship exists between lagged values of exchange rate volatility and agricultural production. The range of results obtained using various measures of volatility suggests caution in comparing studies using different measures. Copyright 2010, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 92 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Justin B. May, 2007. "International Financial Volatility and Commodity Exports: Evidence from the Thai Agricultural Sector," Working Papers 65, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary.
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- O24 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Trade Policy; Factor Movement; Foreign Exchange Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wesley, J.D. & Shen, Xuan & Li, Sheng & Wilson, Norbert L.W., 2012. "Agricultural Trade Bias in Exchange Rate Volatility Effect Estimation: An Application of Meta-Regression Analysis," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124870, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.