Efficient Estimation of Agricultural Time Series Models with Nonnormal Dependent Variables
AbstractThis article proposes using an expanded form of the Johnson S U family as a way to approximate nonnormal distributions in regression models. The distribution is one of the few that allows modeling heteroskedasticity and autocorrelation. The technique is evaluated with Monte Carlo simulation and illustrated through an empirical model of the West Texas cotton basis. Given nonnormality, this technique can substantially reduce the variance of slope parameter estimates relative to least squares procedures. Copyright 2003, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 85 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Usta, Ilhan & Kantar, Yeliz Mert, 2011. "On the performance of the flexible maximum entropy distributions within partially adaptive estimation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(6), pages 2172-2182, June.
- Colson, Gregory & Fu, Shengfei & Ramirez, Octavio A., 2012. "Crop Insurance Savings Accounts," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124739, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Colson, Gregory & Ramirez, Octavio A. & Fu, Shengfei, 2013. "Crop Insurance Savings Accounts: A Viable Alternative to Crop Insurance?," Faculty Series 146993, University of Georgia, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Sommarat CHANTARAT & Kirk PANNANGPETCH & Nattapong PUTTANAPONG & Thanasin TANOMPONGHANDH, 2013. "Index-Based Risk Financing and Development of Natural Disaster Insurance Programs in Developing Asian Countries," Working Papers DP-2013-09, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Jason Cook & James McDonald, 2013. "Partially Adaptive Estimation of Interval Censored Regression Models," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 42(1), pages 119-131, June.
- Luter, Ryan L. & Norwood, F. Bailey & Massey, Raymond E., 2004. "Substitutability of Livestock Manure for Chemical Fertilizer: A Contingent Valuation Analysis of Crop Producers," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19914, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Awondo, Sebastain N. & Datta, Gauri S. & Ramirez, Octavio A. & Fonsah, Esendugue Greg, 2012. "Estimation of crop yield distribution and Insurance Premium using Shrinkage Estimator: A Hierarchical Bayes and Small Area Estimation Approach," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 126778, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.