Dynamic Optimal Management of Wind-Erosive Rangelands
AbstractA bioeconomic model of livestock production from wind-erosive rangelands is developed and optimized. Equations of motion capture the impact of topsoil stock on forage productivity and the protective effect of forage stock on soil loss from wind erosion. For overgrazed wind-erosive rangelands, a lower discount rate provides incentives for lighter grazing, as does consideration of effect of stocking rates on animal performance. In the case where off-site damages are large, internalizing off-site effects would also encourage lighter grazing and hence promote sustainable production. An illustrative application of the model is also included. Copyright 1997, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 79 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mimako Kobayashi & Kimberly Rollins, 2009.
"Invasive Weeds, Wildfire, and Rancher Decision Making in the Great Basin,"
09-004, University of Nevada, Reno, Department of Economics & University of Nevada, Reno , Department of Resource Economics.
- Kobayashi, Mimako & Harris, Thomas R. & Rollins, Kimberly S., 2009. "Invasive Weeds, Wildfire, and Rancher Decision Making in the Great Basin," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49365, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Centner, Terence J. & Griffin, Ronald C., 1998. "Externalities From Roaming Livestock: Explaining The Demise Of The Open Range," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(01), July.
- Wang, H. Holly & Young, Douglas L. & Camara, Oumou M., 2000. "The Role Of Environmental Education In Predicting Adoption Of Wind Erosion Control Practices," 2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia 36376, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Wang, H. Holly & Young, Douglas L. & Camara, Oumou M., 2000. "The Role Of Environmental Education In Predicting Adoption Of Wind Erosion Control Practices," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(02), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.