Austrian Households’ Equity Capital – Evidence from Microdata
AbstractTo date, research on household wealth has seldom focused on households’ business equity holdings. Such equity stakes represent above all ownership in domestic limited liability companies. This study for the first time provides an empirical analysis of the distribution of Austrian households’ equity stakes in limited liability companies. For our analysis, we draw on data from three sources: the Company Register, a commercial database and the OeNB’s 2004 Survey on Financial Household Wealth. In 2005, some 3% of Austrian households possessed equity capital worth around EUR 22.3 billion, which equaled about 6% of total financial wealth. These equity investor households are characterized by above-average incomes and wealth. Compared with the other households, they are also much more frequently invested in risky assets, tend to own their principal residence and have considerably higher education levels. Such equity holdings are highly concentrated even within this group of investor households.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank) in its journal Monetary Policy & the Economy.
Volume (Year): (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Postal: Oesterreichische Nationalbank, Documentation Management and Communications Services, Otto-Wagner Platz 3, A-1090 Vienna, Austria
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C80 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - General
- D14 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Household Saving; Personal Finance
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael Andreasch & Pirmin Fessler & Martin Schürz, 2012. "Savings Deposits in Austria – A Safety Net in Times of Crisis," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 2, pages 81â95.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudia Kwapil).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.