How large are competitive pressures in services markets?: Estimation of mark-ups for selected OECD countries
AbstractMark-ups can provide valuable information on competitive pressures in various sectors of the economy, reflecting pressures stemming from rules of conduct imposed by regulators as well as those arising from such factors as trade and FDI or increasing consumer demands in terms of price and quality. This study estimates mark-ups for services industries in European OECD members and its novelty is that it i) allows for non-constant returns to scale, ii) jointly estimates mark-ups for all sectors and in all countries and iii) estimates mark-ups at a detailed level of sectoral disaggregation. The estimation is done for the period 1993-2006 and uses firm level data of the Amadeus database. In general, the estimated mark-ups are higher for professional services, real estate, renting and utilities, while they tend to be substantially lower for construction, computer services, retail and wholesale trade and catering. There is also large variation across countries in terms of the sizes of the estimated mark-ups. Competitive pressures according to these mark-ups should be large in the United Kingdom and most Scandinavian countries, and relatively small in Central European countries, Sweden and Italy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by OECD Publishing in its journal OECD Journal: Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 2010 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christen, Elisabeth & Francois, Joseph & Hoekman, Bernard, 2012.
"CGE modeling of market access in services,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6106, The World Bank.
- Elisabeth Christen & Joseph Francois & Bernard Hoekman, 2012. "CGE modeling of market access in services," Working Papers 2012-13, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Elisabeth M. Christen & Joseph Francois & Bernard Hoekman, 2012. "CGE Modeling of Market Access in Services," Economics working papers 2012-08, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- João Amador & Ana Cristina Soares, 2012. "Competition in the Portuguese Economy: a view on tradables and non-tradables," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Ana Cristina Soares & João Amador, 2012. "Competition in the Portuguese Economy:An overview of classical indicators," Working Papers w201208, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Saara Tamminen & Chang Han-Hsin, 2012. "Company heterogeneity and mark-up variability," Working Papers 32, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.