L'industria dei servizi Internet: dinamiche settoriali di innovazione in Italia e nel Regno Unito
AbstractThe rate of technical change that is characterising both the telecommunications and the computer industry has been a major driver of the evolution of a close and stable system into an open and dynamic one. The introduction of a cluster of new technologies has originated significant changes within the telecom system and within the economy as a whole. Important technological breakthroughs, culminated with the advent of the Internet, have created a new environment characterised by the convergence of knowledge base and competencies, industries and users previously belonging to separated sectors. In this context, it is possible to identify a sectoral system of the Internet services industry, as a collective outcome of the interaction among its various elements. One of the major features of this sectoral system is the co-evolution between technical change, organisational structure and institutional framework. This paper considers the convergence and merger of previously separated knowledge and technologies, and focuses on the relationships among different types of users, firms with different specialisations, non-firm organisations and sectoral institutions that are at the basis of the emergence of the Internet services industry. The emphasis will be on the innovation processes and on the sectoral dynamics and the research will examine in detail the evolution of this sectoral system in the UK and in Italy. The analysis is largely based upon a set of interviews conducted with Internet service providers in the two countries between June 1999 and March 2000.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Società editrice il Mulino in its journal L'industria.
Volume (Year): (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Nicoletta Corrocher, 2002. "L’industria dei servizi Internet: Dinamiche settoriali di innovazione in Italia e nel Regno Unito," KITeS Working Papers 133, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Nov 2002.
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L86 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Information and Internet Services; Computer Software
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cawley, Richard A, 1997. "Internet, lies and telephony," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 513-532, July.
- Clark, David D, 1996. "Adding service discrimination to the Internet," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 169-181, April.
- Einhorn, Michael A, 1996. "Internet Voice, 'Cyberbypass,' Competitive Efficiency," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(4), pages 1067-78.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.