Financial Institutions in Transition: Banks, Markets, and the Allocation of Risks in an Economy
AbstractThis paper discusses the role of banks and markets in the allocation of risks in an economy. Starting from a discussion of risk allocations in the Arrow-Debreu model, it criticizes the view that banks and markets are substitutes. Instead it is argued that markets are made by intermediaries and intermediaries in turn rely on - interbank - markets for risk management. The analysis raises the question why traditional contractual arrangements in banking leave banks subject to risks associated with macro shocks, which are in principle contractable in an incentive-compatible way. Several explanations for this phenomenon are discussed.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen in its journal Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics.
Volume (Year): 154 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mohr.de/jite
Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D50 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - General
- D80 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - General
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jan Pieter Krahnen, 2005.
"Der Handel von Kreditrisiken: Eine neue Dimension des Kapitalmarktes,"
Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting
152, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Jan Pieter Krahnen, 2005. "Der Handel von Kreditrisiken: Eine neue Dimension des Kapitalmarktes," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 6(4), pages 499-519, November.
- Krahnen, Jan Pieter, 2005. "Der Handel von Kreditrisiken: Eine neue Dimension des Kapitalmarktes," CFS Working Paper Series 2005/05, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Gerhard Illing, 2007. "Financial Stability and Monetary Policy – A Framework," CESifo Working Paper Series 1971, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.