Application of the balance-of-payments-constrained growth model to Portugal, 1965-2008
AbstractThe present study aims to verify whether the balance-of-payments-constrained growth approach is suitable for explaining the Portuguese growth performance during the past decades. To smooth cyclical variations, 15-year overlapping periods are considered in the computation of "Thirlwall's law," assuming that income elasticity of imports is either constant or variable over time. It is shown that actual growth can accurately be predicted by the ratio of export growth to the income elasticity of the demand for imports. Evidence also reveals that Portugal grew slightly faster than the rate consistent with the balance-of-payments equilibrium accumulating external deficits over time. Considering the pre- and postaccession periods to the European Union, it is found that Portugal grew at a slower rate in the latter period, explained by a higher income elasticity of imports and lower export growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by M.E. Sharpe, Inc. in its journal Journal of Post Keynesian Economics.
Volume (Year): 34 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=109348
balance-of-payments equilibrium growth rate; income elasticities with respect to trade; overlapping periods; 2SLS regressions;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anthony P. Thirlwall, 2011.
"Balance of payments constrained growth models: history and overview,"
PSL Quarterly Review,
Economia civile, vol. 64(259), pages 307-351.
- A. P. Thirlwall, 2011. "Balance of Payments Constrained Growth Models: History and Overview," Studies in Economics 1111, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Elias Soukiazis & Eva Muchova, 2012. "Slovak economic growth and the consistency of the balance-of-payments constraint approach," GEMF Working Papers 2012-16, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Elias Soukiazis & Pedro André Cerqueira & Micaela Antunes, 2013.
"Growth rates constrained by internal and external imbalances and the role of relative prices: empirical evidence from Portugal,"
Journal of Post Keynesian Economics,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 36(2), pages 275-298, January.
- Elias Soukiazis & Pedro André Cerqueira & Micaela Antunes, 2012. "Growth rates constrained by internal and external imbalances and the role of relative prices: Empirical evidence from Portugal," GEMF Working Papers 2012-08, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.