Money and Risk Sharing
AbstractWe study the use of money for sharing consumption risk. In our model, agents randomly receive endowments at some points in time and produce at other points. Due to information frictions, agents cannot use intertemporal contracts to share risk. The use of money allows agents to overcome these information frictions. The Friedman rule is shown to generate efficient risk sharing. Furthermore, we quantify the welfare costs of incomplete risk sharing and find that with 10% inflation, the welfare cost of inefficient risk sharing is approximately 1%-1.5% of steady-state consumption.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 38 (2006)
Issue (Month): 6 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ben Craig & Guillaume Rocheteau, 2008.
"Inflation and Welfare: A Search Approach,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(1), pages 89-119, 02.
- Rojas Breu, Mariana, 2013. "The welfare effect of access to credit," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© Paris-Dauphine urn:hdl:123456789/7353, Université Paris-Dauphine.
- Rocheteau, Guillaume, 2012.
"The cost of inflation: A mechanism design approach,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 147(3), pages 1261-1279.
- Guillaume Rocheteau, 2011. "The cost of inflation: a mechanism design approach," Working Paper 1103, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Veronica Guerrieri & Guido Lorenzoni, 2007.
"Liquidity and Trading Dynamics,"
NBER Working Papers
13204, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo Lagos, 2006.
"Asset prices and liquidity in an exchange economy,"
373, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Rojas Breu, Mariana, 2013. "The welfare effect of access to credit," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7353, Paris Dauphine University.
- Nicolas L. Jacquet & Serene Tan, 2011. "Money, Bargaining, and Risk Sharing," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43, pages 419-442, October.
- Paola Boel & Gabriele Camera, 2009.
"Financial Sophistication and the Distribution of the Welfare Cost of Inflation,"
Purdue University Economics Working Papers
1222, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Boel, Paola & Camera, Gabriele, 2009. "Financial sophistication and the distribution of the welfare cost of inflation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(7), pages 968-978, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.