Bank Mergers and Small Firm Financing
AbstractIn this study the effect of bank mergers on the most recent attempt to obtain financing from a sample U.S. small firms in the mid-1990s is examined. Banking mergers, which affected about 25% of the firms responding to the survey, had no significant effect on the ability of small firms to obtain a loan or the contract loan rate on the most recent loan from a commercial bank. However, the incidence of mergers does appear to increase nonprice loan terms, increase the incidence of related fees for services, raise the frequency of searching for a new bank, and result in deterioration of service quality Little evidence is found that the most informationally opaque firms (e.g., the smallest firms) bear a higher cost from mergers than do less informationally opaque firms.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 35 (2003)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marco Celentani & MiguelGarcía-Posada & Teresa Molina, 2010. "Profesionalización e internalización de las decisiones económico-financieras. Evidencia empírica sobre las Pymes manufactureras en España," Economic Reports 03-2010, FEDEA.
- Hans Degryse & Nancy Masschelein & Janet Mitchell, 2005.
"SMEs and bank lending relationships: the impact of mergers,"
993, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Hans Degryse & Nancy Masschelein & Janet Mitchell, 2004. "SMEs and Bank Lending Relationships: the Impact of Mergers," Working Paper Research 46, National Bank of Belgium.
- Degryse, Hans & Masschelein, Nancy & Mitchell, Janet, 2005. "SMEs and Bank Lending Relationships: The Impact of Mergers," CEPR Discussion Papers 5061, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Shannon Mudd, 2013. "Bank Structure, Relationship Lending and Small Firm Access to Finance: A Cross-Country Investigation," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 149-174, October.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Hainz, Christa, 2008.
"Integrating with Their Feet: Cross-Border Lending at the German-Austrian Border,"
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
248, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Christa Hainz, 2008. "Integrating with their Feet: Cross-Border Lending at the German-Austrian Border," CESifo Working Paper Series 2279, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pedro Barros & Diana Bonfim & Moshe Kim & Nuno Martins, 2014.
"Counterfactual analysis of bank mergers,"
Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 361-391, February.
- Evren Damar, H., 2007. "Does post-crisis restructuring decrease the availability of banking services? The case of Turkey," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 2886-2905, September.
- Montoriol-Garriga, Judit, 2008. "Bank mergers and lending relationships," Working Paper Series 0934, European Central Bank.
- Jonathan Scott, 2004. "Small Business and the Value of Community Financial Institutions," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 207-230, April.
- Eugene Kang & Asghar Zardkoohi & Ramona Paetzold & Donald Fraser, 2013. "Relationship banking and escalating commitments to bad loans," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 40(4), pages 899-910, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.