The Thrift Crisis, Mortgage-Credit Intermediation, and Housing Activity
AbstractThis paper evaluates the influence of periodic disruptions in the thrift industry on mortgage credit intermediation and housing activity. Results of the analysis indicate that disruptions in the thrift industry during the early 1980s imposed real costs on the economy by reducing the amount of mortgage credit intermediation. Estimation findings indicate a sizable mortgage interest rate premium stemming from the loss in thrift intermediation services during the early 1980s. Those higher mortgage rates served to dampen housing demand, in turn exacerbating the cyclical decline. In contrast, empirical findings for the post-recession period of the 1980s indicates a severing of the link between mortgage interest rates and thrift provision of mortgage credit. Copyright 1995 by Ohio State University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 27 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:luk:wpaper:8601 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alejandro Justiniano & Giorgio E. Primiceri, 2008.
"The Time-Varying Volatility of Macroeconomic Fluctuations,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(3), pages 604-41, June.
- Alejandro Justiniano & Giorgio E. Primiceri, 2006. "The Time Varying Volatility of Macroeconomic Fluctuations," NBER Working Papers 12022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giorgio Primiceri & Alejandro Justiniano, 2006. "The Time Varying Volatility of Macroeconomic Fluctuations," 2006 Meeting Papers 353, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Minye Zhang & Yongheng Deng, 2008. "REITs Return Behavior and Legal Infrastructure: The 1993 Revenue Reconciliation Act & Inspirations for China's Emerging REITS Market," Working Paper 8532, USC Lusk Center for Real Estate.
- Stuart Gabriel & Yongheng Deng, 2002. "Enhancing Mortgage Credit Availability Among Underserved And Higher Credit-Risk Populations: An Assessment Of Default And Prepayment Option Exercise Among Fha-Insured Borrowers," Working Paper 8622, USC Lusk Center for Real Estate.
- Paul Bennett & Richard Peach & Stavros Peristiani, 1997.
"Structural change in the mortgage market and the propensity to refinance,"
9736, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Bennett, Paul & Peach, Richard & Peristiani, Stavros, 2001. "Structural Change in the Mortgage Market and the Propensity to Refinance," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(4), pages 955-75, November.
- Paul Bennett & Richard Peach & Stavros Peristiani, 1998. "Structural change in the mortgage market and the propensity to refinance," Staff Reports 45, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Jonathan McCarthy & Richard W. Peach, 2002. "Monetary policy transmission to residential investment," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue May, pages 139-158.
- Alejandro Justiniano & Northwestern University, 2006. "The Time Varying Volatility of Macroeconomic Fluctuations," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 219, Society for Computational Economics.
- Deng, Yongheng & Gabriel, Stuart A. & Sanders, Anthony B., 2011. "CDO market implosion and the pricing of subprime mortgage-backed securities," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 68-80, June.
- William Miles, 2009. "Housing Investment and the U.S. Economy: How Have the Relationships Changed?," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 31(3), pages 329-350.
- Yongheng Deng & Stuart Gabriel, 2005. "Are Underserved Borrowers Lower Risk? New Evidence on the Performance and Pricing of FHA-Insured Mortgages* (Revised)," Working Paper 8579, USC Lusk Center for Real Estate.
- Xudong An & Yongheng Deng & Stuart Gabriel, 2009. "Value Creation through Securitization: Evidence from the CMBS Market," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 38(3), pages 302-326, April.
- An, Xudong & Deng, Yongheng & Gabriel, Stuart A., 2011. "Asymmetric information, adverse selection, and the pricing of CMBS," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 304-325, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.