Factors Influencing Take-Up Rates on the Loan Guarantee Scheme
AbstractThis paper uses time-series analysis to model explicitly the take-up rate of the UK Government's Loan Guarantee Scheme over the 1980s. In doing so we consider the rationale for the scheme in the context of empirical and theoretical research into the financing of small businesses and in particular the nature of the small firm/bank relationship. To begin we discuss the history and evolution of the scheme from its inception in 1981. A theoretical model is then outlined in which LGS funds are used to maximize the utility of capital constrained entrepreneurs. Using this framework we find that the UK Government can do much to influence the levels of both take-ups and failures of firms on the scheme by directly altering the parameters. The scheme's apparent success as a [relatively] cost-effective job generation package suggests more could be done to extend the scheme to aid more start-up firms and those existing firms wishing to expand. Copyright 1995 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 7 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chau-Jung Kuo & Chin-Ming Chen & Chao-Hsien Sung, 2011. "Evaluating guarantee fees for loans to small and medium-sized enterprises," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 205-218, September.
- Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg & Aoife Hanley & Eric Strobl, 2010.
"The effect of grant receipt on start-up size: Evidence from plant level data,"
Journal of International Entrepreneurship,
Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 371-391, December.
- Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg & Aoife Hanley & Eric Strobl, 2010. "The effect of grant receipt on start-up size: Evidence from plant level data," Kiel Working Papers 1607, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.