Social Capital and the Linkages of High-Tech Companies to the Military Defense System: Is there a Signaling Mechanism?
AbstractThis study investigates linkages of new Israeli high-tech companies to the military and defense system. We examine the impact of social capital, signaling, and learning spillovers on resource acquisition in terms of investments and the financial performance of companies with and without linkages. Social capital, signaling, and learning spillovers are examined as they impact individual and organizational resource acquisition and performance of 200 new Israeli high-tech companies. The study contributes to the existing literature of entrepreneurship by suggesting the relevance of knowledge spillovers, signaling theory and social capital to the context of the interface between defense and civilian spheres. Copyright Springer 2006
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
high-tech companies; linkages with military and defense systems; signaling; social capital; venture performance.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chandler, Gaylen N. & Hanks, Steven H., 1993. "Measuring the performance of emerging businesses: A validation study," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 8(5), pages 391-408, September.
- Uwe Cantner & Michael Stützer, 2010.
"The Use and Effect of Social Capital in New Venture Creation - Solo Entrepreneurs vs. New Venture Teams,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2010-012, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Cantner, Uwe & Michael, Stuetzer, 2013. "Knowledge and innovative entrepreneurship - social capital and individual capacities," MPRA Paper 52482, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pablo Salas, 2013. "Literature Review of Energy-Economics Models, Regarding Technological Change and Uncertainty," 4CMR Working Paper Series 003, University of Cambridge, Department of Land Economy, Cambridge Centre for Climate Change Mitigation Research.
- Bernard Dussuc & Sébastien Geindre, 2012. "Capital social, théorie des réseaux sociaux et recherche en PME : une revue de la littérature," Post-Print halshs-00747912, HAL.
- Jue Wang & Philip Shapira, 2012. "Partnering with universities: a good choice for nanotechnology start-up firms?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 197-215, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.