Collaborative Strategies in the Event of Technological Discontinuities: The Case of Nokia in the Mobile Telecommunication Industry
AbstractThe paper examines the extent to which collaboration between large and small companies has been able to deal with the effects of discontinuous technological change. In applying an evolutionary perspective, the paper examines the process by which technological competencies and resources of large firms evolve and its effects on the characteristics of their collaboration with smaller companies. In focusing on the issue of complementary between local and international sourcing of capabilities and resources in the mobile telecommunication industry, it combines an empirical analysis of the structure of Finnish Science Parks with an examination of internationalisation strategies of large Finnish companies. The paper shows that Nokia has increasingly become engaged in sourcing capabilities internationally, this might, however, pose some long-term problems for the local embeddedness of the company in Finland. Copyright 2003 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 21 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
Other versions of this item:
- Sadowski, B.M. & Dittrich, K. & Duysters, G.M., 2003. "Collaborative Strategies in the event of technological discontinuities: the case of Nokia in the mobile telecommunication industry," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-13049, Maastricht University.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cecere, Grazia, 2012. "Creative and adaptive responses in technological change," 23rd European Regional ITS Conference, Vienna 2012 60396, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Dittrich, K. & Duysters, G.M. & Man, A-P. de, 2004. "Using Networks For Changing Innovation Strategy: The Case of IBM," Research Paper ERS-2004-111-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Dittrich, Koen & Duysters, Geert & de Man, Ard-Pieter, 2007.
"Strategic repositioning by means of alliance networks: The case of IBM,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1496-1511, December.
- Dittrich, Koen & Duysters, Geert & Man, Ard-Pieter de, 2007. "Strategic repositioning by means of alliance networks: the case of IBM," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-23365, Maastricht University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.